Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild hog

Options
Well, I just put on a front shoulder of a hog I shot a few months ago for my first foray into cooking pork. I'm going with Mickeys turbo recipe and well see how it goes. I shot the pig before my egg and cooked the butt with my buddy and it was crazy tough. Not sure if that's the nature of wild hog vs super market pigs, but well see what the egg can do.

Going for pulled pork tacos tonight if its edible. Pics later
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @tamu2009 good luck with this. Wild boar is some of the best eating I've ever had in my life, mostly in the form of sausage. In general wild game will be leaner than farm raised, so that could contribute to the toughness you saw before. I'd also say (in general) wild meats are more variable from animal to animal than most farm raised stuff. It can be very good, but probably needs a little more care. One thought would be to chop up some pork fat (I'm thinking bacon fat) very fine and mix that in to melt during pulling. Never tried that, but if you can slice it small enough to melt it ought to put a little extra moisture back into that baby.

Good luck, hope it turns out great.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe inject with some butter after it comes out of the plateau

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    @black_badger I've always made sausage out of my hogs but thought I'd try and keep the quarters whole this time.

I got distracted by college lacrosse and somehow the temp got way out of controls and ended up cooking at close to 450-500 for most of it. It cooked in maybe 2 hours and came out worse than the last time.

Going to scrap it and try a smoked meatloaf tonight.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

The other thing that determines what we do with wild hog is the size. If we're going to do sausage we'll try to find the biggest old boar we can. If we're going to roast the whole thing we'll look for one between about 75-100#. This big boys can be tough from the start (but they're great for sausage).

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Distracted by college lacrosse?  I only watch the pros myself.
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    On the list of all the things in this world I have to get distracted by, College Lacrosse is nowhere to be found :))

Sorry bout the pig man. Whole wild hog is really hard to get right. just depends on what they eat. If the place you got him is a deer lease and they can eat the corn, they are pretty good. When they have to scrap, they can be pretty nasty

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Box lacrosse or field?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I had no idea that there was more than one kind of lacrosse.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yes, lacrosse is our national sport. I think you guys get more field stuff specially in college. Box is played in hockey rinks after they take the ice out. Much more vicious game than hockey.

Steve 

Caledon, ON