Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts are on and breaking in a new "hand"

Options
I am making pork butts to take to a customer tomorrow. I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce my 6 year old son to the finer arts of cooking. (thanks for the inspiration @EddieK76). We got the day started with some Pigshots for an appetizer for a lunch cookout at some friends house. Then started the butts when we returned. Rubbed with a homemade paprika based rub. Cooking around 225 grate. Went on at 3:00 and hope to pull around 7:00 in the morning just in time to FTC and make the 90 mile drive to the customer's shop.
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    2 hrs pr lb at 225 grid temp. might be a little low to be done at 7 am.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I am prepared to bump it up before I head to bed tonight if need be. Each piece is around 6-1/2 lb. I will also be setting alarm (in addition to Maverick's alarm) around 3:00 to check if I need to foil them just to be sure they are done in time. Thanks for the input CT!
    Columbus IN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Love that little man is helping. The downside is in 12 years he'll come home, kick ur ass and take your egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am prepared to bump it up before I head to bed tonight if need be. Each piece is around 6-1/2 lb. I will also be setting alarm (in addition to Maverick's alarm) around 3:00 to check if I need to foil them just to be sure they are done in time. Thanks for the input CT!
    if they are that small you should be ok. probably spot on. You are very nice to your customers :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    @henapple I'm not sure he is going to wait that long. He is already faster than me so I don't stand a chance of outrunning him when he's ready to kick my ass!

@cen-tex I gotta keep them happy so they keep me coming back.
    Columbus IN
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    @Egghead_Daron that's awesome!   My kids love to help me especially when it comes to putting the rub on and massaging into the meat :)  
    Large BGE