Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Mod #2: The "+"

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
If this could work for The Artist Formerly Known As Prince:
Logo. Hollow circle above downward arrow crossed with a curlicued horn-shaped symbol and then a short bar

Then "+" should work out just fine for my mini mod #2.

It basically works like the mini woo ring, but the finishing has that "made in my garage" chic to it. Took a 1.5" aluminum flat bar (1/8" thick, $8.34 + tax at Lowes) and put my superior bending skills to work.

Bought the 8.5" pizza stones ( 2 for $30) from Amazon.

So now I have a raised indirect setup for about $22 ($7 in aluminum + $15 for the stone).

I'm quite pleased with myself. :) planning on cooking breakfast on it tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is off to a great start for the Memorial Day weekend. I'm working on Monday, so have to squeeze in the egging tomorrow and Sun. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Your insane man. Insane.

But I'm stealing these and doing a woo on my small!!

XLBGE 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    One caution.  The melting point for aluminum is (iirc) around 1,200 F, and if you do margherita-style pizzas you can hit that temp pretty easily (I normally cook them ~800-900 F).  I think I remember some folks here wrapping the temp gauge completely around the dial, so the Egg is capable of getting that hot.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Whups!  I re-read your post, and it looks like you were shooting more for a way to cook indirect on the Mini, not necessarily making pizzas (I guess the Mini might be good for doing a single-serving pizza.  Just one.   :D ).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    Options
    @MCN: Should work for the small too. I  use 2 bricks wrapped in foil, clay saucer and a weber grid for an indirect setup on the small. 

@Botch: you're right - aluminum does stand a chance of melting in an egg if its in nuclear mode. Neaopolitan  pizzas can be done at 750-800°F and above, but I usually like to do pizza at about 550-600°F. Besides, I would likely be using the small or large egg if I was making pizzas. 

If the + gets junked that's ok. I would probably just buy a mini woo ring in that case. Its an idea i had, and I like to tinker, so the + was born. :)

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I've got a PS for my small, I need a raised direct option.

XLBGE 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    For me, the right move was ordering from CGS. I like SS.
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I love the naming of your inventions. Bravo to the creativity =D>
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    That is some serious " B.O.B " ballin' on a budget stuff. Very creative.
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks folks. Just trying to be different :)

@Socalcajudo : that's hilarious - never heard that before. I'm getting a tshirt made with that on it!

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    That's cool dude! Still waiting on the motor! :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Superior bending skills?!

caliking is Magneto!
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    @caliking - this is grate! (pun intended)  what did you use to fasten them together at the pivot?
    Mamaroneck
  • caliking
    Options
    @RAC: i'm working on it :)
    @caliking - this is grate! (pun intended)  what did you use to fasten them together at the pivot?
    I just used a small machine screw/bolt type of thing with a nut. Drilled an equally small size hole in the middle of the 2 crosspieces and bolted them together.