Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib question

Options
 I just ordered a 10 # prime rib roast to be ready on Sunday, cooking on Monday. Have a few questions about set up and cook.

Was thinking 250 indirect on a V-rack, till IT of 135ish....

Any other better suggestions, or tips? How much time should I allow?

Thanks -Adam
Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Only have done one boneless before. I'd go 350 indirect till 135
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Reverse sear works well. I've gone from 250 to 325 and in between. All about the same so I just adjust temp based on my estimated target cooking time. Enjoy!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Doing one Sunday. Planning 275 indirect to 115' then rest while Egg heats up to 500 plus, then a reverse sear for a minute or two per side. One of my favorite cooks.
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

The following may be about the best prime rib and BGE info site going-you will exposed to all you need:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

beyond that tutorial-you can choose to reverse sear or other options.  Enjoy the cook-as long as you hit the finish-line temp all is well.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I did this exact cook at Christmas. Based on advice here it turned out very well. I did a reverse sear. I set out the meat for at least an hour before cooking and gave it a heavy rub.

I cooked it at ~250 until internal temp of 105. That seemed low but it works. Then I removed the meat onto a platter tented with foil and put indoors. I cranked up the Egg to >450. Then I put the meat back on for some direct searing, just a couple of minutes per side to get a crust. After resting in foil for at least 15 minutes, the internal temp reached 130-135 and it was perfect.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Hey, Jerold.. Am doing a four bone prime rib this weekend.  I usually cook low/slow, indirect to internal of +/- 120, then finish direct to 127internal, then rest... approx.  I think I'll try your 105F, then crank it up and sear longer.  I think the bark will be better using your temp...thanks.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Reverse sear like TJ mentions above. Key is use a rub paste. It draws some of the surface fat and provides a nice crust for the sear. Don't sear too hot, it is not a steak it is a roast. I prefer bone off, tie the roast to create a more circular, even cooking chunk of meat. Remember a 2 rib size cooks just as fast as a 4 rib size - it is the thickness of the meat not the length. 
    No V rack needed, right on the felt level indirect grid. Use a drip pan, although you will not get much drip, but makes for a faster cleanup. 
    Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Don't know what the v rack would do. Just make sure that you have a drip pan with some spacers under it to capture the semi liquid gold.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• weredaone
    weredaone Posts: 53
    Options
    I did this exact cook at Christmas. Based on advice here it turned out very well. I did a reverse sear. I set out the meat for at least an hour before cooking and gave it a heavy rub.

I cooked it at ~250 until internal temp of 105. That seemed low but it works. Then I removed the meat onto a platter tented with foil and put indoors. I cranked up the Egg to >450. Then I put the meat back on for some direct searing, just a couple of minutes per side to get a crust. After resting in foil for at least 15 minutes, the internal temp reached 130-135 and it was perfect.

I am doing this for my daughters birthday monday, how long a cook should I plan on?
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Reverse sear works incredibly well
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......