Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying BGEs in N. California

Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,[p]I'm new to BGE's, but I'm convinced! Anyone had any experience with buying one in Northern California in the San Francisco Bay Area?[p]I am interested in getting a small or medium BGE. Still debating on what kind of stand I want to get, the frame versus the table. I have a decent size patio, but its not huge. The BBQ I have now takes up about the same amount of space as a 55 gal drum.[p]Any comments or advice?[p]Thanks in advance,[p]Chris
Santa Clara, CA

Comments

• night_start.jpg
    <p />Chris,[p]Welcome to the club (cult) - I live in Walnut Creek, but had a house, for a while, in Willow Glen. I got my large BGE at BBQ's galore in WC, and despite the fact that it is sometimes an ignored product to the BBQG team (not much margin compared to some of the stainless steel rigs) they have been great to work with.[p]I think that the all around winner for functionality is the large (blatant opinion considering I have only experienced the large), but the medium would be a very close second. The small might crimp your ability in the long-low-and-slow category (like brisket and butt).[p]If you decide to go with the large, shoot me an email and I will give you my old nest (the metal contraption with wheels that supports the egg). I realize that this is not a HUGE cost savings, but if it tips the scale from Med to Large then I would be happy to help. I keep thinking that I may one day need the nest, but in reality I will never use it again (I built an outdoor kitchen and I don’t see a reason to ever move the egg again).[p]If you buy the large (splurge, you are only going around once) just give me post or two. I will make arrangements to meet you and give you the nest. I am sporadic about checking my yahoo account so give me a “head’s up” on the forum and I’ll link up with you. At very least it will save you some money and I will get to meet another egg owner in the flesh. [p]I am in the giving mood, especially considering what some of our friends in the SE are going through.[p]Buy it soon – Labor Day is coming this weekend. I’ll put the nest in the back of the truck just in case.[p]Pivotizer

• Chris,

I also reside in Santa Clara...small world.

I'm in the process of designing and building an outdoor kitchen in a house I recently moved into. I plan to feature a built-in Large BGE when it's all completed.

I plan to buy from BG in Campbell (Pruneyard)unless I can find a demo for sale around when the time is right.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mornin' Chris,
    I bought both my larges @ BBQ's Galore in Palo Alto. They do stock them. So if you time it right you can go home with one. Expect to order some of your accessories online from the mother ship as BBQ Galore doesn't carry much beyond the nest & daisy wheel.
    Good decision on the Egg, you won't regret it.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• I also bought my large BGE from BBQ Galore in Palo Alto. They've got their Labor Day sale going on now thru the weekend. While the BGE's are NOT on sale, a lot of other stuff is, including their house brand lump charcoal.
  • Chris
    Kevin, Bruce, & Pivotizer,[p]Thank you for the recommendation and advice. I will check out BBQG this weekend and see if I can be BGE fulfilled...![p]And an extra thank you for Pivot for the offer of the basket. If all they have is larges, well that may have to do.[p]How do their prices compare to BGE Atlanta's published list prices??[p]Chris
    Santa Clara

• Chris,[p]I posted this last night on the "new" board.[p]Chris, [p]I also reside in Santa Clara...small world. [p]I'm in the process of designing and building an outdoor kitchen in a house I recently moved into. I plan to feature a built-in Large BGE when it's all completed. [p]I plan to buy from BG in Campbell (Pruneyard)unless I can find a demo for sale around when the time is right.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Chris
    SMITTYthe SMOKER,[p]Hey, do they have BGEs in stock?[p]Chris
  • Chris,[p]Last time I spoke to them they had 1 on (Large) the floor and were expecting two in about a week. Sounded like they sell a few. It's located at the corner of Bascom and Campbell Ave. inside the Pruneyard Shopping Center. They quoted me a $549 price on the large basic package.[p]Good to see others out my way, maybe we can one day get a group together for the first "Eggs By The Bay" cook.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Chris
    SMITTYthe SMOKER,[p]Good idea, I like it. How about we start small, like maybe "Eggs in Alviso" or something similar...?[p]Chris
  • Chris
    Pivotizer,[p]Hey, how does the "other" new forum work? I think I have a login and PW now, but where would I find my posting and its string. It looks like not very many are converting over.[p]Chris
  • Hey Pivot!

I will take you up on the offer of the large nest if its still good.

BBQG in Campbell has just one large in stock for $599, it has the spring-hinge already installed, hence the extra $50.

They will order a medium for me, but in the long run its probably better if I get the large.

Call me on my cell, 408 307 2002, so we can arrange a meet.

Chris
    I am the co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area Eggfest and I operate the Fred Tri-tip roast Facebook page for Schaub's Meat Market.
  • Hey Chris,

I went by BBQGalore yesterday afternoon to pick up a couple of rubs, the Guys there informed me that someone had bought their only BGE they currently had and wipped them out of their Egg accessories...my guess is that must have been you. Congrats.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Hey Smitty,

If you mean the one in Campbell, it wasn't me, but they still have a large with a spring hinge in stock for $549.

I just called Palo Alto and they have a large as well plus a few more accessories it sounded like.

I'm trying to figure out what add-ons to get at this point.

Pivotzer is offering me his large nest, but I am debating between that and a couple of Egg Mate side tables or a large table.

What's your 2 cents??

Chris
    I am the co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area Eggfest and I operate the Fred Tri-tip roast Facebook page for Schaub's Meat Market.
  • Chris,

That's exactly why I'm waiting to pick up my BGE...need to build a place to house it. I have found several nice stainless steel countertops from a local coffe shop that went out of business, once I get a little more time and some extra "gold dust" I'm constructing an outdoor kitchen with a large BGE set into a counter with a gasser and a sink to complete my "outdoor Arsenal".

My cooking experience lends me to believe that more counter space is good.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Hey Smitty,

Sounds like it will be a nice setup when you get it built, definitely post a pic...!

Chris
  • Hey Smitty,

I stand correctly, NOW the Campbell BBQG is out of stock on BGEs. I did have to make them bring one over from the Almaden store, but I picked up mine this morning.

I took advantage of their $25 rebate for their Labor Day sale and tomorrow morning I order a compact table.

Oh, one more thing, I tried to buy their floor demo and they said that they never do that.

Chris
    Santa Clara, CA