Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tilapia fillets help!!!

i just bought a pack of tilapia fillets and im lookin for a time and temp to cook them and i thinking about cookin them wit some sea salt and laying them a a bed of lemons but i need a time and temp......thank you my fellow eggers!!!!!!
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Are you wanting to 'grill' or 'bake' them in the Egg?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• @r270ba grill them
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I think I would try and keep it around 450 direct for 3-4 mins a side.  Keep an eye on them because they will cook QUICKLY.  You don't want to dry them out.  Also make sure to use a spatula because those will flake and break apart. 
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited May 2013
    You could always make a closed foil pouch for them.. Throw some lemon juice, butter and sea salt in there.. Maybe some Greek seasoning or something.. I did some speckled trout like that a couple weeks ago.  Cooked it at 450 for about 10 minutes.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Tilapia fillets are thin and very fragile when cooked.  It is considered a Lean" fish, meaning not "fishy" tasting at all.  As mentioned above, it can be cooked in a foil pouch which makes handling it easy.  Another method is to blacken it on a super hot cast iron skillet.  Dip the refrigerated fish fillets in cooled melted butter, then coat the fish with "blackening seasoning".  Drop the fillets, which are thin, into the super hot CI surface, allow to blacken, flip and blacken the second side and serve!!

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248

Tilapia fillets are thin and very fragile when cooked.  It is considered a Lean" fish, meaning not "fishy" tasting at all.  As mentioned above, it can be cooked in a foil pouch which makes handling it easy.  Another method is to blacken it on a super hot cast iron skillet.  Dip the refrigerated fish fillets in cooled melted butter, then coat the fish with "blackening seasoning".  Drop the fillets, which are thin, into the super hot CI surface, allow to blacken, flip and blacken the second side and serve!!

Those look great. How long per side on those filets?

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    You would be better off if you cooked them on foil, a plank or cast iron. They are flaky. Cook until they flake and they are opaque.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

As soon as they are blackened and firm, turn them.  Remember, you can eat this fish raw without a problem.  Actual time depends on how hot you can get the cast iron.  And i allow it to heat back up after each fillet(meaning the cooking of both sides of one fillet) for a minute or two just to make sure it is up arounf 500 to 600 degrees when i drop the next fillet on the cast iron.  If your not "smokin" up the neighborhood - your cooking too cold!!!  It will turn black --  and thats what you want. Don't overcook it.