Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking it in! (part 1)

Had my first two cooks on my demo Egg from the Georgia Mountain Eggfest this past weekend.  Thought I'd share the cooks and my experiences so far.

First of all, the Eggfest was a blast!  I was surprised to see so many cooks and so many tasters there.  I think I heard the attendance clock in somewhere around 1500.  I really lucked out as my demo Egg was being used to demonstrate a cold smoker, so, for all intents and purposes, it is brand new!

For the first cook on Sunday, I decided to go relatively simple and do pulled chicken sandwiches.  I did a spatchcock chicken rubbed down with Tsunami Spin (which I picked up from the Eggfest as well.  This is my first experience with any of the Dizzy Pig rubs.).

I fired up the Egg for the first time using a paper towel and oil.  First thing I learned was that the Egg starts extremely quickly compared to my old method.  The egg started going nuclear before I even realized it!

Got thing relatively under control and put the chicken in.  

While the chicken was cooking (indirect around 350° dome), I made some BBQ sauce.  Nothing special, but SWMBO loves it and gets mad at me when we run out.  It's ketchup based that has the right level of spice, tangy-ness, and sweetness.

Here's the finished bird.  I think I'll use something a little lighter than hickory next time.  Live and learn.  Still tasted great and the skin was relatively crispy.

Pulled the chicken, both white and dark, and mixed in some of the BBQ sauce.  Sorry for the horribly blurred picture.

On a bun with some shredded cheddar.  I threw the rest of the family's sandwiches under the broiler which is what I used to do cause my old firebox (which I used as a grill too) couldn't quite work as an oven.  I decided to try mine on the Egg as a proof of concept, so I cranked it up to about 450 dome and put it on.  I wanted to make sure the bread wouldn't pick up too much of the smoke flavor.  I learned that the 3-4 minutes it was on there, it didn't pick up any.  Next time, all the sandwiches will go back on the Egg.  Served with chips.

This was a tasty, simple, after-church meal.

Since this post turned out a little long in the tooth, I'll make a separate post for Sunday's dinner.  Gotta get that post count up too! :)

LBGE with a massive wish list
Athens, Ga.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Post count bump.

J/K, Great first(well, second really) cook! I love pulled chicken. My wife likes it in the crock pot but I'll need to show her your post. Thanks.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Looks great, I am sure you are pretty excited about your new member of the family. Keep the cooks coming.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work... The demo looked unused.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Fantastic, only thing I would change is either wrapping the plate setter in foil or use a drip pan so the leftovers from today's cook don't affect the next cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Looks awesome!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    dpittard said:
    Had my first two cooks on my demo Egg from the Georgia Mountain Eggfest this past weekend.  Thought I'd share the cooks and my experiences so far.

First of all, the Eggfest was a blast!  I was surprised to see so many cooks and so many tasters there.  I think I heard the attendance clock in somewhere around 1500.  I really lucked out as my demo Egg was being used to demonstrate a cold smoker, so, for all intents and purposes, it is brand new!

For the first cook on Sunday, I decided to go relatively simple and do pulled chicken sandwiches.  I did a spatchcock chicken rubbed down with Tsunami Spin (which I picked up from the Eggfest as well.  This is my first experience with any of the Dizzy Pig rubs.).

I fired up the Egg for the first time using a paper towel and oil.  First thing I learned was that the Egg starts extremely quickly compared to my old method.  The egg started going nuclear before I even realized it!

Got thing relatively under control and put the chicken in.  

While the chicken was cooking (indirect around 350° dome), I made some BBQ sauce.  Nothing special, but SWMBO loves it and gets mad at me when we run out.  It's ketchup based that has the right level of spice, tangy-ness, and sweetness.

Here's the finished bird.  I think I'll use something a little lighter than hickory next time.  Live and learn.  Still tasted great and the skin was relatively crispy.

Pulled the chicken, both white and dark, and mixed in some of the BBQ sauce.  Sorry for the horribly blurred picture.

On a bun with some shredded cheddar.  I threw the rest of the family's sandwiches under the broiler which is what I used to do cause my old firebox (which I used as a grill too) couldn't quite work as an oven.  I decided to try mine on the Egg as a proof of concept, so I cranked it up to about 450 dome and put it on.  I wanted to make sure the bread wouldn't pick up too much of the smoke flavor.  I learned that the 3-4 minutes it was on there, it didn't pick up any.  Next time, all the sandwiches will go back on the Egg.  Served with chips.

This was a tasty, simple, after-church meal.

Since this post turned out a little long in the tooth, I'll make a separate post for Sunday's dinner.  Gotta get that post count up too! :)
    And all the Lord's people said.... amen!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Post count bump.

J/K, Great first(well, second really) cook! I love pulled chicken. My wife likes it in the crock pot but I'll need to show her your post. Thanks.
    I'm gonna catch you one of these days!! Your only about 3-400 post smarter than me.

Ha sorry to chase a rabbit.

Awesome cook my man!! I've gotta do a pulled chicken soon, that sandwich looks amazing.

XLBGE 
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Chicken looks fantastic.. I hadn't thought to pull it before but will definitely throw an extra one on next time I do a spatchcock to get some pulled
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The platesetter brought a tear to my eye... I remember when mine was that clean. They grow up so quickly.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Thanks everyone!  I'm excited to finally be able to take part in this community!

Scottborasjr I realized I should have foiled the PS or used a drip pan a few minutes into the cook.  Definitely will do that in the future.  I'm not used to using a drip pan since I didn't use one in my firebox smoker.

MrCookingNurse They were tasty and demolished by the family.  Of course these could be dressed up many ways, but I like the simple side of it.  

Athens, Ga.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Really be able to take part? Dude you have been part for some time. But glad you can now cook with us. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Looks great, don't think you are a newb to grillin :))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• great job. I've found fruit woods do very well on chicken. I use cherry. Really lightens up the harsh smoke flavor of say hickory/oak/mesquite but still adds a very nice hit of smoky sweetness that goes great with yard bird. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    this was your first cook???or first cook on new egg?? either way good job!!! got me thinkin i have to try it!!! ^:)^
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    daffy1909 I've been cooking/grilling/smoking for probably 8+ years now.  This is just my first time on my Egg.  I've been able to turn out decent results on far inferior equipment, so I'm hoping that once I get used to my Egg, my cooking quality will skyrocket.  I really appreciate your comments!

@Cen-Tex Thanks to you as well!  I'll definitely be picking up a fruit wood very soon.  Living in Georgia, I hope I can find some peach wood on Craigslist for cheap/free.  I've also got 3 really old pecan trees in my back yard, so I might give that a try (I realize pecan isn't a fruit :D ).  Any idea where pecan falls in the range of hickory to fruit woods?

Athens, Ga.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @dpittard

Here is a good list of woods and their characteristics
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    @dpittard try going to academy's sporting goods store. They have about the best assortment of woods you can find. I think they had peach the last time I was there. I agree with cen- tex I like cherry and apple woods with chicken. Awesome looking cook by the way, I am too going to do a spatchcock chicken and make sandwiches . They look killer!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE