Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my fire grates and rutland gaskets, busy weekend

Options
I made 12 fire grates for large BGE's this weekend. There are 3 Large BGE's in my family so we get 4 each. I used #9 gauge flattened expanded steel. I coated them with a high temperature coating thats good to 1100 degrees and is flame resistant after it is cured. I use the same coating on exhaust manifolds and a wood fired cook stove I made a couple of years ago from steel plate. Total cost was about $25.00  At this price, I can replace the grate every couple of months. I priced new stainless steel expanded steel and it was pricey to say the least. I will look for some at the scrap yards in my travels. Will try the new grate tomorrow. 

I found the Rutland gasket and cement in Georgetown. Works great. About $35 for my large and mini with gasket and cement left over. Already had the tools, paint stripper disk and xylene the degrease the BGE mating surface.
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Cool. Nice work man
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    " I will look for some at the scrap yards in my travels"........your travels are way different than mine :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    " I will look for some at the scrap yards in my travels"........your travels are way different than mine :))
    I only shop at the best yard sales and scrap yards.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

There is no need to coat them with anything if they are stainless steel.  The charcoal up against that grate is going to be well over 1100F, so I would be worried about the fumes coming off that coating as it breaks down.  Also, if they are stainless steel, their is no reason you should have to replace them every few months--mine have lasted for years in lava temps.