Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making the best of an extremely wet day - aka moving the roast to the oven.

So, with yesterday's success on the spatchcock chicken I decided to brave a low and slow with a nice beef roast I had in the freezer. 

Fired up the grill to 250 at 6:30 this morning and put the roast on (indirect with drip pan).  Temp was stabilized quite nicely so the family headed to church.  About halfway through the service the weather decided to change form chance of showers to monsoon. 

When I got home the dome temp was only reading 100 and showed no sign of coming back to life so I pulled the roast and put it in the oven. 

Had recently purchased the Maverick 2 wire thermometer so decided to hook that up in the stove.  Roast is at 176 IT right now.  Going for pulled beef so I'm shooting for 210 or so.  Should be a bit longer at this rate.

Guess we'll go for the low and slow on the egg another day.  Will have to check the weather closer next time.

Comments

• weather does not really matter to your egg. it might to you and that's cool but your egg will power through any rain/snow/crap weather. suck it up man!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

We had flash flooding and I'm not sure if enough of the rain got in or what but the fire was pretty much out. With the radar showing more of the same coming I moved it in.  Was afraid to open it up and try to relight.  Wasn't sure if much water getting inside would damage anything.  The roast had cooked for about 6 hours and had an IT of 140. 

I'll try it again sometime soon.  Still learning and this was only my 5th cook.

• CharlieTN said:

We had flash flooding and I'm not sure if enough of the rain got in or what but the fire was pretty much out. With the radar showing more of the same coming I moved it in.  Was afraid to open it up and try to relight.  Wasn't sure if much water getting inside would damage anything.  The roast had cooked for about 6 hours and had an IT of 140. 

<water won't hurt anything. When the weather changes dramatically like you had, it can change your settings but you'll get it with time. You can cook in anything with these. That's why I bought mine. Nice audible today though. sometimes you gotta do what works.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The times i have done "pulled beef" i had to go close to 220 internal before it would pull.  Check that it pulls before securing your cooking??  And it seems to take twice as long to get there, as compared to pork?
  • CharlieTN
    The times i have done "pulled beef" i had to go close to 220 internal before it would pull.  Check that it pulls before securing your cooking??  And it seems to take twice as long to get there, as compared to pork?

Thanks for the info.  Kind of flying blind here other than the Maverick.  Love this thing already.

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN said:

Thanks.  My greatest fear was having a bunch of rain flood inside a hot smoker and exploding my new expensive toy.  Next time I'll persevere. 
  • CharlieTN

As a side question - how water resistant is the Maverick transmitter?  Would it be usable in this kind of weather?

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I always put my maverick in a zip lock bag while its raining outside. Never had a problem with it.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    +1 ziploc.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CharlieTN

Cool.  Now I have no excuse to not cook in the rain again. 

I'm planning to build a table soon and will definitely be putting a bracket on it for an outdoor umbrella. 

• the 732 is water resistant but I always use the ziploc bag as well.I've left it out in the pouring rain on accident and the transmitter didn't miss a beat. The probes are super delicate though.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    the 732 is water resistant but I always use the ziploc bag as well.I've left it out in the pouring rain on accident and the transmitter didn't miss a beat. The probes are super delicate though.
    Was the accident too much Hooch??  
    :))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    the 732 is water resistant but I always use the ziploc bag as well.I've left it out in the pouring rain on accident and the transmitter didn't miss a beat. The probes are super delicate though.
    Was the accident too much Hooch??  
    :))
    yes. and I did it on purpose so I guess it wasn't an accident after all :D