Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stubb's Lump

Has anyone used Stubb's Lump Charcoal? I saw it at my Costco for, I think $15 for a 34# bag. I know that Stubb's briquettes are made by cowboy, and well, we all know about cowboy charcoal. I didn't pick any up because I didn't want to waste money on it if it was garbage.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Comments

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    I think someone posted on here a while back that they didn't care for it. I know Wal-Mart started selling it and was wondering the same thing.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I initially thought it was a great deal and loaded up. Bought 8 bags. Sparks flew when I lit it, and the aroma was not all that pleasant. A lot of the pieces were not well carbonized. Also, it doesn't say what type of wood it is made from. Did have a lot of big pieces though. Used and finished 1 bag and returned the rest. The price is hard to beat, however.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It does sound an awful lot like cowboy! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    I did notice that it was a "blend" of hardwoods from the US and Mexico. The price was great, but I think I'll stick to B&B or Central Market. 

Also, the 20# bag of BGE charcoal that the guy threw in when I bought my XL had a bunch of rocks in it. Thanks, Royal Oak...

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I like the Stubb's.  It may be a little sparkier than some of the other stuff - but not so much so that it is a problem for me. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I think Stubbs is the bottom of the list. Have not used it, but like you said, I have seen a lot of bad comments on it.

XLBGE 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

I'm in the middle of the 34 lb. bag from Costco that the original poster speaks of and must say I've been kind of disappointed.  My wife called me from Costco one day and told me about it and told her to get one....seemed like a bargain.  I find it to burn much quicker than other lump I've used and I seem to use much more fuel for even short cooks.  Have found a few rocks in the bag as well.  It is really easy to light is the only upside, but that has never been a problem using the torch method.  I've used Cowboy a lot because it's easy to find where I am and  I actually prefer Cowboy over Stubbs, but I've not been as disappointed in Cowboy as obviously some others have.

It's not horrible and it does serve the purpose fine, but since it seems to burn quicker, that eats up any added value of the price/pound combo.  I doubt I'll get it again. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've heard Ozark Oak is pretty good stuff.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KennyLee
    henapple said:
    I've heard Ozark Oak is pretty good stuff.
    If you don't mind, where do you get yours?  On line or do you have someone near you that carries it?  I tried to find their website where they might give a list of retailers/dealers, but couldn't find one.

LBGE

• henapple
    I get it traveling through Arkansas... Were are you located?
  • KennyLee

Southern Tarrant County in the D/FW area.

LBGE

• henapple
    I'm pretty sure you can find it there. Call their office... Their website sucks. I can usually drop off a few bag coming through Dallas.. Not sure when I'll be there way.