Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Baking Steel Chapter

I used the recipe that came in the box with my Steel, made it on Thursday morning pizza cook on Saturday.

Wok set up with sand as ferreted out by fishlessman and Focker.  Thanks guys.  Because of your experimentation I was able to cook 3 pizzas without a lot of issue.  It was SUPER windy on Saturday, and the 2nd pizza got away from me, but it still came out really well.  The Steel is fantastic, pies were a huge hit and family was exceedingly happy with lunch.  Andris is really a stand up guy.

Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza, Crab Rangoon Pizza and Buffalo Chicken Pizza.  Enjoy your Steels!image

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Beautiful lookoing pies
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Thanks for the report, getting mine on Thursday, looks like pizza is on the menu for this weekend.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Thursday for me as well, Thinking I might do a griddle cook of some sort as well as a few pies.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2013

Looks great Stace!  Three scratch made pies is no easy task.  I will be doing the Rangoonzza!

Used the steel for today's Nearlypolitan...

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fletcherfam
    @Focker, what is your go to set up on the baking steel?
  • Focker
    edited May 2013

Inverted spider, 16" wok with about 10lbs of sand(enough to fill in the bottom and I spread it up the sides some), OEM grid, then steel.  Wide open egg screen included.  When IR of steel was 500+, I launched pie today....perfect.  If you do this, be careful.  Wear a glove on your opening hand, and eye protection. 

Still tinkering with a stone over steel setup for more than three pies....for an eggfest.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fletcherfam
    @Focker, hmmmmmm. I got a plate setter, a woo3, a OEM grid... what are your thoughts?
  • Focker
    edited May 2013

LS mentioned elevating the platesetter with firebricks on the firering, then inverted platesetter, spacer, steel.  Or firebricks on firering, platesetter legs up, grid, steel.  What size steel did you order and what size egg do you have?  Large right?

Haven't used a woo3.  No help there bud.

I got decent results with the classic inverted platesetter, ceramic feet, steel setup.  That wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fletcherfam
    I got a 15" steel for the Large egg @Focker.
  • Focker
    edited May 2013
    Ok, good sizes.  I'd start with the inverted platesetter, spacers, steel at 500-600.  That is what Staci and I did for our first run.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fletcherfam
    @Focker, ok so stupid question, so if you are using an inverted platesetter could you put it in the Woo and then put the grid on, then the steel?

IF not, would you use fire bricks to raise the height of the plate setter to the felt?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I found a 14 inch springform pan, going to attempt to replicate the wok/sand setup in the medium.  Still working on it piece by piece.  I want to travel with the medium pizza machine.

The initial setup PS legs down, feet, Steel worked really well for that first pizza, the second one was harder to get color on the top.  As with LS suggestion, I think you have to raise the whole setup a little higher.  If there's too much space between the PS and the Steel, the heat will just sneak around the edge of the PS and you lose the protection for the bottom of the Steel.

I've never used the woo either, but if you could get it to hold a wok, the extra height you may get might not hurt
  • fletcherfam
    @WokOnMedium, what do you think about plate setter non-inverted, then grid then steel? There would be minimal air between the steel and the platesetter, but still some.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nice cook Sweetheart! You skeered to grill bacon?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited May 2013
    @WokOnMedium, what do you think about plate setter non-inverted, then grid then steel? There would be minimal air between the steel and the platesetter, but still some.
    Too much air IMO.  You would benefit by elevating your entire setup away from the fire.  Copper tees, nuts, ceramic feet, foil balls, etc work great at giving you a nice, small gap where the heat will not wrap around your indirect shield.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Focker said:
    Too much air IMO.  You would benefit by elevating your entire setup away from the fire.  Copper tees, ceramic feet, foil balls, etc work great at giving you a nice, small gap where the heat will not wrap around your indirect shield.

So...lemme ask a stupid question...how big should the foil balls be? How much space between the platesetter and the steel should I be aiming for?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice pies! Love the ingredients. Did you notice a difference in crust with the steel?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dlt
    dlt Posts: 14
    Where ya'll buying the steels (LBGE)?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    edited May 2013
    @Fletch, Focker tried quite a few setups before settling on the spider/wok that I stole.  Pre-steel leads me to think if you can get some kind of spacers under the platesetter legs, platesetter legs down, feet, steel you'll have the best recipe for multiple pizzas.

I've tried a few things, often the first pizza is great, then the results begin to degrade with each pizza.  The wok allowed me to crank out 3 with consistency.

@Steven.....one of my Eggfest neighbors grilled bacon once, I was scarred from it....I'm a safety girl!
    ;;)
  • Little Steven
    Indirect with a rectangular drip pan. Best bacon/pig candy you ever had! Ah guaruntee

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firemedic183
    Indirect with a rectangular drip pan. Best bacon/pig candy you ever had! Ah guaruntee

How long, and what temp?
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013

I don't know, 400* til its done the way you like it. Trying to put a pic up but I can't copy it in photobucket. What code do I copy?

photo DSC_0003-5.jpg

photo DSC_0002-7.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firemedic183
    I don't know, 400* til its done the way you like it. Trying to put a pic up but I can't copy it in photobucket. What code do I copy?

Dome up or down? I think that you need to use the .img code. When I post pics, I just attach them from my iPad. Gotta love Apple.
  • Firemedic183
    I can see your pics now. You must have figured it out. =D>
  • Little Steven
    Down. Pig candy is just some brown sugar and cayenne sprinkled on both sides of the bacon. It is like......great!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firemedic183
    Down. Pig candy is just some brown sugar and cayenne sprinkled on both sides of the bacon. It is like......great!

You are not kidding!! I went to a vendor cook off last week, and the BGE rep made cinnamon rolls with candied bacon chunks on them. It was to die for!! Last question...I can't tell in the pics, but do you have platesetter legs up or down? Thank you for your help!!
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013

It doesn't really matter. You need spacers under the drip pan anyway so I would go legs down, spacers, pan and grid on top. I was gonna say "Down. Pig candy is just some brown sugar and cayenne sprinkled on both sides of the bacon. It is like......great sex!

That is on the adjustable rig

Steve 

Caledon, ON