Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 lb. Butt

Options
ChampAmp
ChampAmp Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok.....this is the biggest piece I've low & slowed so far...I'm soliciting relatively simple recipe / serving suggestions.[p]Also, I don't have a Pit Boss...and I need to leave it for a few hours unattended (church)....no go? I can stick here if I have to, pretty leary about leaving...[p]I figure I'll start it early am on Sun....be ready for dinner around six. [p]I figure on keeping the dome temp around 250+...and let the meat get to around 200. I'd like to be able to pull it.[p]I love this forum (usually a lurker). Thanks for eggin me on.[p]

Comments

• locolongball
    Options
    Did you say early Sunday morning, and be ready for dinner Sunday Night? I've cooked 10-11 pounders, and they take about 20-22 hours @ 225. If I run low on time I just bump the temp up about 300 for the last hour or so.. However, you have to give time for the fat to render or you are not going to get the deisered texture of meat. If you are wanting Sunday dinner I would start Sat. Night around 9 or 10 PM.. If it does get done early you can always wrap it in foil for a good couple of hours before pulling and it will be just fine......

but these are just my thoughts.

Good Luck!
  • wingfoot
    Options
    ChampAmp,[p]First of all, I wouldn't count on it being ready for supper if you wait and put it on until Sunday morning. I'd put the butt on about 8:00 Saturday night and count on pulling it mid to late Sunday afternoon. Mine always take upwards of 20 hours. If it finishes early, you can wrap it in foil and a couple of towells and put it in a warm ice chest until you're ready to pull it. I just coat mine with mustard and my favorite rub...... dizzy dust, get the dome to about 250 or so and let it stabilize, and then put it on a rack over a drip pan full of apple juice. Then I put in the Polder and NEVER peek until it's ready. I like mine about 200 to 205 internal. I don't have a pit boss or a guru. I'm sure they're nice to have, but you can do just fine without them. Don't panic if your temp varies a bit. Just try to keep your dome from getting under about 220. You should be able to leave and go to church without worry if you're stable around 250 when you go. [p]Hope this helps,[p]Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    ChampAmp,
    i would light the egg at 8 the night before and stabilize it for a good hour, put the meat on about 9:30-10. it will probably be ready around 1-3 sunday afternoon where you can wrap in tinfoil and towells and place it in a cooler until 5:30-6 on sunday and pull it just before eating. if your not up to temps by 2 you can always raise the temp up to 300 to finish it a little faster

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    ChampAmp,
    Make sure you put plenty of lump in and follow fishlessman's suggestions.

• ChampAmp
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement / advice and e-mail, just what I was looking for. I have plenty of lump, and I have a wireless Redi-Chek?? I think it's called..so far it's worked very well. I was planning on letting it get to 200 anyway...read somewhere else that was good. Is there significant advantage to dome 250 vs. dome 300 to speed things up a bit?[p]The apple juice in the drop pan sounds good. I've got mustard and some good rub as well. This will be fun. [p]Thanks to all.

• ChampAmp,[p]I'm about to do my 2nd 10# butt for Sunday at 4pm, so i'm starting at 4pm on Saturday, hoping to be done around noon sunday - then the cooler method[p]for consistent heat, be sure to [p]1) completely clean out your egg of all older ash and smaller pieces.
    2) place your largest chunks on the lower grate (so when the others burn-down, their ash doesn't clog the grate) [p]Although it varies - expect your lower vent to be about the thickness of 2 credit cards (my medium was like this) BUT about 30/40 minutes before you go to bed or go out, open the lower vent, and stick in an open'd coat hanger, stick it up into the lower grate (where the coal sits) and shake the loose ash down into the bottom of the egg. Watch the temp for 30 min, make sure it's stable, then go.[p]goodluck[p]that was my one mistake.

• ChampAmp
    Options
    Went great...22 hours...flame went out once...no big deal. Everyone's advice was very helpful...lesson learned: Start with lots of lump for stability and longevity. Tastes great...anyone know where to get Shoops (spelling?) sauce? This is what my cousin, the hog farmer, recommends.