Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two level cooking

ccrider.disabled
ccrider.disabled Posts: 168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen multiple post with pictures where people have made a two level cooking system (not a bought extender) but rather using two egg grids with stainless threaded rods or some other way of seperating the cooking grids in order have more cooking surface. Any picts that could be posted would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Comments

• ccrider,
    The Whiz has it on his site...[p]DrR

• ccrider,
    The Naked Whiz has a good example, see the below link

[ul][li]How to make a raised grid[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • 4509601184.jpg
    <p />ccrider,[p]I got 4 levels and they all lift right off. Hint. Use appropriate sized CARRIAGE bolts.[p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp
  • guava wood, Thanks Greg. That was what I needed to kickstart my brain. I just needed a visual. By the way, the guava lump has been perfect for smoked almonds along with some DP Tsunami Spin and kosher salt.
    Thanks,
    Charlie

• 4509597535.jpg
    <p />ccrider, Great! Glad you like the guava chunks![p]Feel free to ask if you need tips. It took a few trips to the hardware store to get just the right fit. Used a 14" grate and an 18" grate. I also have a 14" grate hanging from the BGE grate which I use if I need a foil covered aluminum drip pan. Make sure you use stainless steel. Ideally you want the bolts to be the right lenght but you can leave some for adjusting. Make sure you check and adjust the dome thermometer so it doesn't touch the meat or get hung up on the grate. Note in the picture how the carriage bolt head rests in between the grate. Make sure it's big enough and won't push through.[p]I like the way they just lift out and you can set them anywhere resting on the bolts! They even nest together stacked in reverse for EZ storage.[p]good luck and have fun![p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp
  • guava wood,[p]I like you set up alot better than mine. I have 2 racks that are bolted together. I thought I would need that for stability when I cooked 50# of pork butts. When loaded it turns into a uncontrollable mess of jiggly pork fat.[p]P1010258.jpg

[p]Couldn't close the lid...need a shorter fire ring...
    8a78c595.jpg[p]

Egg was wrecked when the first batch came off.
    8d9126c1.jpg

• What's the best kind of grate to use for the other levels? I've seen some suggesting cast iron grates. Are those a BGE accessory? Or can I just get a decent stainless steel grate and make that work?[p]I'd really like to try BOB (Butt Over Brisket) this weekend, so I want to make the right long-term investment in a tiered setup.[p]Thanks!
  • 15MVC-015E.jpg
    <p />Morning Mike,[p]There are many ways to set up a two or three layer cook in your large Egg. Of course, I am partial to mine and it has been in use probably longer than most, as you can find it as far back as you can go in the archives but without the pictures as I had to take down my web page. However, the information is still there. [p]I call my setup the "Contraption" and it has many advantages over anything I have seen on this forum as of the present time. Any time you can get away from fire bricks or a plate setter for multi-layer cooking, you will have something that will work better and give you so much more even cooking. [p]While this setup does have many features and I will cover a few, just keep in mind of YOUR needs with a multi-layer setup and compare them with the "Contraption". [p]All your cooks can be setup in your kitchen and then taken outside and dropped into the cooker when you get it on temp. This is nice in lousy weather. [p]Every layer in this setup can be serviced during the cook in just a few seconds. I like to baste in the ceramic cookers and I just lift off the top layers and can very easily get to the lower layers to baste and I am on my way again. What I am saying, I don't have to take apart anything to make this easy. I also like to glaze my meat before it comes off the cooker and this as well is very easy. In most cases, this operation can be done in about one minute. [p]Most heavy loads require me to add charcoal and again this is very easy. I just reach down and grab the handles on the lower layer, pull it all out of the cooker and place it on a table beside the cooker, stir down the charcoal, add more and put it back together. This takes less than 90 seconds. [p]If you had to purchase all new parts, this setup can be made for about 50 dollars and it really works well.[p]You mentioned some butts over brisket so I included a picture. I have many more pictures of this setup and would be more than happy to send you some information on this type of setup along with some other pictures. [p]Your friend,[p]Dave[p] [p][p]

• Old Dave,[p]2 questions:[p]1. the bottom grid, not the BGE extender, but the next one up, does that rest on the BGE ring?[p]2. I see you have 2 grids the same size, unlike others that have a smaller one going into the dome. What diameter are the two grids?[p]Thanks,
    Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    2005010904.jpg
    <p />ccrider,
    not as purty as some, but it does work and is easy to clean. i did use a bought extender for the pork butts over 2 briskets and do use that extender regularly
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    2004_0122Image0019.jpg
    the lower grill is a cast iron from bge.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Paul,[p]Good eye Paul and you are right in that the lower cooking grid does rest on the fire ring. [p]Right again in that with my setup, no meat is up into the dome where it will cook much quicker than any other layer in your setup. The diameter of the cooking grids will measure about 17-1/4 in diameter which is about the same as the standard grids. The grids are the standard Weber replacement 18-1/2" in diameter grids with handles to fit both the 18-1/2 " Weber kettle and the WSM smoker. Both of these cooker measure 18-1/2" in diameter but the replacement grids only measure 17-1/4" which is perfect for the large Egg. These grids can be found at about any hardware store that sells the Weber products. [p]Dave

• Old Dave,[p]Can you send (e-Mail) me some pics/instructions for your contraption. I believe I a have condemned mine as a failure. I was trying to use the platesetter and it ended up being way too high.[p]Thank you.
    Joe

• Hi, Dave! The Contraption looks perfect for me. I'd love to see any pictures or instructions you've got easily available.[p]Good to hear from ya! I hope things are going well with you.