Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I be concerned

SmokingInMO
SmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay I am being mocked on a daily basis by the wife and saying that I am obsessed with that big green "thingy" on the deck. I get made fun of for being in this forum all of the time and she has no idea why I am taking pictures of food that I cook. It was her night to cook dinner but I decided I might want a snack later so I threw on a batch of hot wings (pics later) and again I got made fun of. I have taken my shot of koolaide and have joined the green egg cult but to what cost? Should I keep this loving affair with the egg a secret from my family? Maybe wait until they all go to sleep and sneak to the computer to check the forum? Or should I just come out of the closet and anounce my membership to this secret society of eggers.

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    SmokingInMO,[p]I think you just did. Welcome. Soon we'll teach you the secret handshake.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SmokingInMO, LOL - probably 90% of us here have had the same experience. You need broad shoulders to take it like a man, but in the long haul you'll have the family begging for more! Wear your green proud!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    SmokingInMO. Tell her it is what it is and to get over it. Then as you are pulling out the sofa sleeper remember you told her and told her good. u b da man.

• Ribs3pk.jpg
    <p />SmokingInMO,
    I have to take pics of food sometimes when wife isn't looking, drives her nuts.
    Wife invites people over all the time for Chiefs games, then asks what I'm cooking on the egg.
    I usually cook 4-5 times a week on the egg. When I did bacon the first time, I got a great, I don't like the smell in my house.
    Seafood ect.
    I have always cooked a lot on the grill, but never like this.
    My wife is so eggcited about the OK eggfest, yours will come around. As far as other family, my dad brought me over a 55 gallon cooler of meat 1 weekend. Said cook.
    Be Green, Be Proud.
    2 larges, mini, medium, and a small on the way.[p]Mike

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    SmokingInMO,[p]Give it time - your wife will eventually get used to you taking pictures of food, and your other family members and guests will follow suit shortly thereafter. As for forum browsing, well she may never "get" why you're addicted to seeing other people's pictures of food, but she'll get used to seeing you staring at pictures of ABTs online as well.[p]It's kind of like farting in front of your wife - when you first met her and y'all were dating, you kind of did it in secret, sneaking off to an empty room, or sometimes waiting all evening in pain. But after you were married for a while you just started letting it go - sure she may roll her eyes or appear offended, but you don't really give a flip anymore, right?[p]Sorry for the crude analogy but it's the first one that popped into my head.[p]AND, she'll never quit asking you to cook for her on the Egg - if anything, she'll want you to cook more and more. The key is to have her plate fixed already so she can start eating while you take all your pictures.[p]Good luck![p]TRex (LOL)
  • SmokingInMO,
    Tell your wife about this strange fellow who you met on the forum. Tell her that he too takes pictures of his food to post on the forum. But tell her that he has it much worse. He sits on his driveway in 90+ degree heat and sorts charcoal into piles. Then he takes pictures of the charcoal. The neighbors come over, take one look, and leave shaking their heads. Tell her about The Naked Whiz. She will bother you no more....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    I directed my wife to the Naked Wiz site. She got a little concerned about a guy naked on a toilet outside the house.[p]
    Mike

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    ribsredi.jpg
    <p />SmokingInMO, Perfectly normal behavior. You will find that at times the food tastes great but doesn't photo very well.
    These ribs are still making my lips smack and wife PO'd. They were cooked all day and foiled for last hour. Cajun spice was all I needed. Gave wife some veggies and wolfed down all the ribs. Sometimes I can't understand the disconnect but also do not plan on changing modus operundi.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Zeke,
    I was wondering about you all down in Gulf Shores. Didjya make out alright??
    Very much a relief to see you post.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    SmokingInMO, yes they will complain, but it's like the woman who goes to the doctor and says, "My husband thinks he's a chicken." The doctor says, "Well I can make him understand that he's a man." The woman says "Oh, don't do that, we need the eggs."[p]My wife ridicules me in front of friends talking about my green cult. But in the next breath, she's telling them about how great the food is. Go figure.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    drbbq,
    There's a handshake?!!

• SmokingInMO,[p]My wife thinks I'm crazy but that doesn't keep her from shoving the awesome egged food down her neck. I say embrace it. Tell her at least you're not out at strip clubs every night. No wait.... That never works. H_ll I don't know, I feel you man. Another addicted egger.[p]KySmoker
  • >>There's a handshake?!!<<[p]You learn it after you drink the Kool-Aid....
  • SmokingInMO,
    Take her to a BBQ competition. In the first few weeks after I got the Egg, my wife was getting sick and tired of my little obsession. She liked the food, but really wanted me to talk about other things in life.[p]Well, I convinced her to go to a nearby competition where we met Old Dave and the Ulcer Acres team. Super nice people, as were most of the folks we met there. My wife is now hooked! We'll be picking up a Small Egg at Eggtoberfest, and then we're entering the local competition next year. I think for my wife, it's the combination of great food, great people, and a little healthy competition that make it a win-win-win for her.[p]Then again, I haven't taken pictures of food yet. I'm afraid if I do, I might push her back over the edge...

• KySmoker,[p]But she goes to the strip clubs with me so what excuse do I use now lol
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]I'll keep that in mind, of course that might begin to worry her that I will turn out the same
  • SmokingInMO,[p]You got a good woman.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    TRex,[p]LMAO!!![p]you fart..in front of your wife??[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    RRP,
    Ron, wasn't it Kermit who said 'it ain't easy, being green'? ;)[p]later,
    ron.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    I feel your pain. Initially when I showed my wife a picture of the egg she said, "No way, that is the uglest thing I've ever seen" That was my first hurdle. Just getting to buy it. Once after we've had it for a while she thinks the food is great but it is still ugly. My nest goal is on vacation time go to an egg fest.( and of course being there, pick up another large demo egg.) Good luck
  • SmokingInMO, a "Blondie" comic strip about a year ago pictured Dagwood leaving a deli with a huge smile on his face and a pkg in his hand. One of the clerks behind the counter says to the other clerk, "He's the only man I know that takes a picture of his Pastrami Sandwiches!"[p]Ask your wife to take the pics with you displaying your 'masterpieces' ;)

• are we married to the same woman ?

sounds like my wife.
    see ya at EGGtoberfest
  • your wife is lucky B)

other men use their spare time to chase other women, or go to sports events all week ends (you should hear the complaints then) :evil:
  • i look forward to handshake with you - congratulating you on your acomplishments in the BBQ arena
    Hope to see ya at EGGtoberfest
  • Mornin' SmokingInMO,
    The simple solution would be every time your in a group of family, friends, neighbors whoever raise your hand & say,’ my handle is SmokingInMO & I'm an Eggaholic. They'll think you've joined some new 12 step program & are trying to improve your life and they'll encourage you.
    Have fun.
    bruce

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    SmokingInMO,[p]You have it good. Sounds like she only makes fun of you once a day.[p]We have three eggs and I think the volume of jokes are in direct proportion to the number of eggs! The only way to keep her quiet is to cook more food. She does not tease me about the food.[p]I know when she does it, it's all in fun and love![p]Smokey

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    KySmoker,
    I'll second that. Gotta love a woman that will hit the strip joint with ya.[p]Cheers,Beers&Boobs,
    New Bob

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    SmokingInMO,
    My affection for the BGE hit me yesterday when a co-worker asked me about my convection oven. We recently moved to a house with double ovens in the kitchen, one convection and one regular. I couldn't answer her. I don't know. The only "ovens" I ever use are the BGEs, and that's just about every day. Jim suggested getting rid of the ovens entirely, but I will probably use them to heat up side dishes at Christmas dinner. Egg obsessed? Yeah, but as Martha Stewart would say..."It's a good thing."
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    2005215329.jpg
    <p />SmokingInMO,
    "she has no idea why I am taking pictures of food that I cook" thats an easy one, to hang on the refrigerator

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badbruce,
    Not a bad idea at all, I may have to try that