Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked New York Strip

Options
I just cold smoked a New York Strip Loin in my smokehouse for two hours. I applied a wet rub and then let it sit in the fridge over night. Then I cold smoked it and again let it sit in the fridge over night. Can't wait to throw one of these on the spider.
Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.

Comments

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Those look awesome, especially the marbeling! What kind of rub did you use?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    Options
    I used
     Three crushed cloves of garlic
     Three tbsp soya sauce
     Three tbsp olive oil
     One tbsp dried rosemary
     One tbsp dried thyme
     One tbsp crushed red pepper
     One tsp sea salt
     One tbsp Big Ron's rub

The loin came from Costco in Saskatoon
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That looks $#%^ing awesome!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i love where your heads at.  never thought of cold smoking a steak.  genius!!!!  like steve raichlen (sp) says, if its good baked, better fried, its best when smoked and grilled.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome! Can you please tell me more about your smokehouse?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Dude that looks crazy good!! And some amazing looking strips at that.

If you don't mind, can you please elaborate on the process?

XLBGE 
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    Options
    +1 on the smokehouse info.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• meister5
    Options
    I have had my smoke house in my garage for about 15 years now. It has done a lot of sausage, pastrami and quite a few turkeys. The last 7 or so years I have found a love for smoked cheese and butter. That led me to cold smoking. I use a Bradley generator and with the size of the smoke house it does not raise the internal temperature of the smoke house much.My smoke house sits outside of the garage with just the front wall in the garage. I also try to do it on a cold spring or fall day. To be sure I always put trays of ice about 4 inches below what I am cold smoking. This loin came straight out of a cold fridge and was still very cold to the touch when it came out of the smokehouse. It was smoked for two hours, when it came out I put it in a large zip lock and put it straight back in the fridge for 24 hours. It did not smell too smokey when I took it out but by the next evening before I cut it up it had a nice smoke and spice aroma. A bout four years ago I built a second smoke house for the porch of my cabin. I re-fitted an old stainless steel fridge out of a hospital. You can see the Bradley digital smoker in the bottom corner. The smoke is drawn off the top by the pipe you can see at the side by an in line duct fan.It creates a vacuum so it does not smoke the room much. Besides smoke houses smell so good! This one is completely automatic and does it's job while we are out on the lake. Now I just need a second Egg for the lake.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    "I also try to do it on a cold spring or fall day" Is there another kind of spring or fall day in the Toon?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• meister5
    Options
    You got that right. I fell in Murry Lake yesterday while trying to push a big piece of ice away from shore. Haven't seen my boys since. LOL