Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And we're off!!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
It's go time!   :D

I'm cooking all the protein for my brother-in-law's wedding and i'm pretty stinking stoked about it!

The Menu
  • 15.5 lb CAB Brisket (Wet Aged for 28 Days)
  • 9.25 lb Boston Butt
  • Six 5.5 lb Whole Chickens
  • 4.5 lb Turkey Breast
  • 5 lb Southside Market Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage
  • 5 lb Kiolbassa Polska Sausage
Made my brine last night and tossed all the poultry into the brine early am.  The brisket will go on at 7pm and the butt will go on at 11pm.

More to come.   :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Looking forward to seeing pictures and how everything goes. Good luck.
    Go Hogs Go
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Awesome, that looks like fun.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Kudos to you for giving it a go!  Good luck.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Looks like it will be fun
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Hope your BIL is providing you with beverages to keep you hydrated during the cooks!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Giddy up! I'm excited just hearing about it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    The sauce!

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Looks like you have a solid plan, have fun and I can't wait to see the finished pics. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    Wait, are you brinning chicken or making soup?  No Matazah? 

I have to know how it goes with carrots, and celery in the brine. 
    That is a BIG cook. Good luck

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    tazcrash said:

Wait, are you brinning chicken or making soup?   :-?   No Matazah? 

I have to know how it goes with carrots, and celery in the brine. 
    That is a BIG cook. Good luck

Did the exact same brine that I did for my Thanksgiving bird (which had celery and carrots) and it was the best turkey I've ever had.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Dude that is freakin' awesome.  I love big events like that.  Anyone helping you out or do you the the joy (no sarcasm here) of you, food, eggs, alcohol, and COMPLETE SILENCE?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba
    Oh and is that small or a mini sitting in the pic?
    Anderson, SC

• tazcrash
    why does that black section of counter have a cover, handle and pipe sticking up?    :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

From someone who was in the middle of it last weekend all I can tell you is booze is your friend and you will suprise yourself at what you can get done. That and you will forget a lot of pictures till later.Not wishing you good luck as that has nothing to do with it. You will do just fine.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    r270ba said:

Oh and is that small or a mini sitting in the pic?

That's my small. Don't have a mini yet...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2013
    So I am guessing the slide is not being used much X_X   That is not in SA, where? Also, as soon as you get some rain we will have a Fest at your house........................
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r270ba

cazzy said:
    Dude that is freakin' awesome.  I love big events like that.  Anyone helping you out or do you the the joy (no sarcasm here) of you, food, eggs, alcohol, and COMPLETE SILENCE?
    Nope...just me. I will get some assistance during service as i'll need help pulling the butt and slicing sausage. I thoroughly enjoy it and can't wait to start feeding peeps and hearing some feedback. I don't drink alcohol, but I am hydrating very well. Everyone knows what I have on my plate, so I'm being left alone. What they don't know is that I have a very good plan and I ain't scared. :P Currently, I'm on the deck enjoying the beautiful windy day! ;)Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Beautiful!  What a way to cook.  Good luck and can't wait to see the pics.  I am going to have to get me a small.  Is it pretty portable?
    Anderson, SC

• cazzy
    tazcrash said:

why does that black section of counter have a cover, handle and pipe sticking up?    :D

I ain't going to lie, it's going to get some use. It's the only way I'll get everything done on time. I'm going to use it to cook a few chickens and some sausage. I'm only using the charcoal side of the pit.

• cazzy
    Mickey said:

So I am guessing the slide is not being used much X_X   That is not in SA, where? Also, as soon as you get some rain we will have a Fest at your house........................

Lake Corpus Christi.

That's not a bad idea! I would call it a Meet and Greet though so only the cooks get to do the tasting. :D
  • cazzy
    r270ba said:

cazzy said:

r270ba said:

Nope...just me. I will get some assistance during service as i'll need help pulling the butt and slicing sausage.

I thoroughly enjoy it and can't wait to start feeding peeps and hearing some feedback. I don't drink alcohol, but I am hydrating very well. Everyone knows what I have on my plate, so I'm being left alone. What they don't know is that I have a very good plan and I ain't scared. :P

Currently, I'm on the deck enjoying the beautiful windy day! ;)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Beautiful!  What a way to cook.  Good luck and can't wait to see the pics.  I am going to have to get me a small.  Is it pretty portable?

Very portable. I can load it by myself without having to take the fire box or ring out. Just like cooking nurse, I have transported the small in my old civic.

I still want a mini though since its even easier to transport. Plus, my wife will use a mini and thinks "they're cute".
  • r270ba
    Well then if she thinks it is "cute" doesn't that mean that you have permission to buy one?
    Anderson, SC

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    r270ba said:

Well then if she thinks it is "cute" doesn't that mean that you have permission to buy one?

Yep, but why buy one when @Mickey promised I'd win one? :P

• tazcrash
    cazzy said:
    I ain't going to lie, it's going to get some use. It's the only way I'll get everything done on time. I'm going to use it to cook a few chickens and some sausage. I'm only using the charcoal side of the pit.
    no judgments here. I was just joking. That's a lot of meat you need to cook,use the tools you got!

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    pics, pics, pics. This is all I can say, looks freaking awsome.
    :)]
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Good Luck Buddy!! (not that your gonna need it) Please keep us posted with pics!!  And that chicken brine recipe would be nice to see and try!!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Enjoy!

I agree with @sancho65, I'd like to see the brine recipe. The one I use has candied ginger and allspice in it, would love a new one to try.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• A man with a plan.  Looks like alot of fun.  Hope it all goes as planned.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• cazzy
    sancho65 said:

Good Luck Buddy!! (not that your gonna need it) Please keep us posted with pics!!  And that chicken brine recipe would be nice to see and try!!!

Acn said:

Enjoy!

I agree with @sancho65, I'd like to see the brine recipe. The one I use has candied ginger and allspice in it, would love a new one to try.

Brine recipe can be found here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145474/the-herbed-poultry-brine-from-charcuterie-the-craft-of-salting-smoking-and-curing

Highly recommend it as the results are worth the effort!