Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WELLS - It's Tough to Egg Without Running Water! OT

I was planning on spatching a couple of birds for the kids' grandparents today.  If the well doesn't get fixed, that makes Egging a little more challenging!  It got me to thinking of everything we use running water for. In my case today, running water sure would make it convenient to wash my birds.   When Nola was talking about egging through the aftermath of a storm when everyone had no power (unknown if running water was included), I thought "Gee, that must be tough" and I moved on.  It's a little different when it happens to you.  It gives me a greater understanding of the struggles of those trying to feed their families under adverse conditions!  When you're on a well and you lose power, that is the first thing you connect to the generator.  When your well is not functioning, you're dead in the water! 

The repair guys just got here.  I'm bracing myself for some pricey news.   

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You've got really pretty grass.

XLBGE 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Yep.  Being in hurricane country, a gasoline generator is a must.  Good luck with the repairs.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    As Joni Mitchell said "You don't know what you got 'till it's gone" - how true, how true. 
    How close is the nearest neighbour? Good Luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168

Our neighbors are close.  Here's a pic I decided not to use but shows how close.  The well is 12 feet from my front porch.

Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    theres this old fashion method of running with a bucket from your neighbors outside faucet. its called running water up here
    :D no reason you cant cook that chicken
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    edited May 2013
    If it can't be repaired today, I would connect my outside faucet to my neighbors (with his permission) with a modified garden hose with two female connectors. Close off the water pump outlet and turn the faucets on. This will pressurize your complete system for hot water and all. I did this years ago when the foot valve went bad and had to be ordered. Good luck !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Fred19Flintstone

"When was the last time you checked the pressure in the tank?  There's no pressure so it burned out your switch."

"There's air pressure in that tank?  I've lived here since 2000 and I had no idea."

Giving me the look like I'm a complete imbecile.  "It's all in the manual right there on your water softener."

"Oh, you mean this thing I've never read?"

Shaking his head he explains what I should know about the equipment.  $125 later, we're back in business!  Dodged a very pricey bullet!!

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dude if your well pump does go, look at the variable pressure ones. The system is double but you get constant pressure no matter when somebody flushes the toilet when you are in the shower.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674

"When was the last time you checked the pressure in the tank?  There's no pressure so it burned out your switch."

"There's air pressure in that tank?  I've lived here since 2000 and I had no idea."

Giving me the look like I'm a complete imbecile.  "It's all in the manual right there on your water softener."

"Oh, you mean this thing I've never read?"

Shaking his head he explains what I should know about the equipment.  $125 later, we're back in business!  Dodged a very pricey bullet!!

we just repressurized at camp. the telltale is that the pump starts turning on to frequently. if the pumps in the house you hear it turn on at night when noones using water, if its in the ground you dont hear the warning signs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fred19Flintstone

we just repressurized at camp. the telltale is that the pump starts turning on to frequently. if the pumps in the house you hear it turn on at night when noones using water, if its in the ground you dont hear the warning signs
    One of the joys of having lousy hearing.  I could tell something was running a lot down there in the basement.  I assumed it was the sump pump because its been very wet here.  Now I know.
    Flint, Michigan