Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help With Roasting Peppers

Does anyone have a foolproof technique for roasting peppers without victimizing the outside?  I have pulled it off on occasion, but it is more of an accident than anything predictable. 
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721

TEggSun said:
    Does anyone have a foolproof technique for roasting peppers without victimizing the outside?  I have pulled it off on occasion, but it is more of an accident than anything predictable. 
    I roast lots of peppers and get pretty good results. I use a grill basket and turn them often until they turn brown and skin splits. My favorite is Hatch peppers that should be available fresh in August.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The outside of a pepper is indigestible. I recommend victimizing them and peeling the outer skin off. The outer skin has none of the flavor or nutritional value, and as I stated earlier, indigestible.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

x1 on what @pgprescott said. Rub some oil on them and toss them directly on the coals. Let that skind blister up and put in a ziplock bag or a bowl covered in saran wrap, allow to cool and pull off the skin.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Griffin said:

x1 on what @pgprescott said. Rub some oil on them and toss them directly on the coals. Let that skind blister up and put in a ziplock bag or a bowl covered in saran wrap, allow to cool and pull off the skin.

The outside of a pepper is indigestible. I recommend victimizing them and peeling the outer skin off. The outer skin has none of the flavor or nutritional value, and as I stated earlier, indigestible.

Didn't know that. Thanks guys.

XLBGE 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I sometimes will do them inside on my gas stove.  Using a BBQ Fork or tongs will put them right into the gas flame, put in a ziploc or paper bag for a few minutes, then scrape off the outside w/ a knife.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks for all of the feedback.  I learn more on this forum than I did in my entire formal education.  Perhaps that is more of an indictment on my attention span than anything else. 
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I get the egg ripping hot and do them on the ci grid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35
    thetrim said:
    I sometimes will do them inside on my gas stove.  Using a BBQ Fork or tongs will put them right into the gas flame, put in a ziploc or paper bag for a few minutes, then scrape off the outside w/ a knife.
    Above is the method I use.  Now that we have perfected the technique, what is everyone's favorite use for them?  I personally love roasted red peppers and IMO, they color up and add flavor to just about anything.  When local grocery has them marked to 77 cents a piece, I buy up the store and roast away!! They freeze nice, just be sure to separate with wax paper for easy thaw removal.  Just the RRR with butter and bread makes a tasty dietary sandwich.  My latest experiment was roasted red pepper soup.  Took 15 peppers but was thick and rich and full of flavor! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013
    I do a roasted red pepper and tomato soup as well. Butter and full cream. Grilled vegetable sandwiches are fantastic too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @TEggSun... Where'd you go to school? University of Alabama?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2013
    Recently roasted some peppers to use in a few different ways. Some ended up in a jar with olive oil for snacks.
    After they were roasted I places them in a gallon zip lock bag and into the frig overnight. Normally an hour or so in the bag is enough to peel the charred skin off.
    Some were added to make some chicken adeana which I have done before.

Richard Melbooooring Fl.