Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Map torch egg light

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
I forgot to do this the other day and to whom ever I promised, I am sorry.

This is my egg lighting set up.

Safety welding glasses
Welding arm length gloves
Benzo MAP torch

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And a video

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p552/mrcookingnurse/18910986-D157-4873-935E-C4D157B99440-6985-000000C168A7A087.mp4

XLBGE 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Impressive. I'm jealous since mine is the hands-off approach of firestarters
  • MrCookingNurse
    @eggcelsior

Did video work? I can't see it

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Yes. It redirected to the photo bucket site.
  • MrCookingNurse

Yes. It redirected to the photo bucket site.

Thanks my man.

XLBGE 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Nice. You should tell the cameraman to lay off the Scotch though.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    ...thinking I need to upgrade from electric starter to torch. 
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I tried this before and was not impressed... 

Nothing works better in my opinion than the Weber fire starter cubes.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I'm with cooking nurse. I can't imagine I'll ever use anything but my MAP torch. I've convinced 2 fellow eggheads to buy as well.
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Why can't I see video?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Not able to see the video either.  Hmm
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • MrCookingNurse
    Try that. Goes straight to it.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Adamd said:

@adamd
    Can you please elaborate? This is pretty much fool proof to me. Haven't used starters, but this kills my electric starter.

XLBGE 
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Still unable to see it but I know the drill.  I use the same method.  I'm a steamfitter by trade and do alot of soldering and sometimes order a few to many gas cylinders :)
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160

@adamd Can you please elaborate? This is pretty much fool proof to me. Haven't used starters, but this kills my electric starter.
    I have tried it before but I was using Cowboy lump when I tried it but it would spark like nuts and I think would take forever to light enough spots to make it worth while.

The starter cubes I just drop 2 in, light and cover with the lump a little bit and it is ready in like 15mins. I guess this is just easier and works for me better. 
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    Chubbs said:
    Why can't I see video?
    Because you aren't standing on your head?    :))
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Still no video for me either. I don't have a photobucket account so maybe that is it?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    Adamd said:

Adamd said:

@adamd
    Can you please elaborate? This is pretty much fool proof to me. Haven't used starters, but this kills my electric starter.

I have tried it before but I was using Cowboy lump when I tried it but it would spark like nuts and I think would take forever to light enough spots to make it worth while.

The starter cubes I just drop 2 in, light and cover with the lump a little bit and it is ready in like 15mins. I guess this is just easier and works for me better. 

Cowboy lump is pretty awful. Starters look pretty easy, light and walk way.

The pyro inside of me loves the torch. I'm using royal oak and haven't had any problem yet with the spot I light going out, usually come back from food prep and have a blazing egg

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

MCN your link goes to an adult website. ???

Are you sure you posted the right video?

Jk, :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• FanOfFanboys

@adamd Can you please elaborate? This is pretty much fool proof to me. Haven't used starters, but this kills my electric starter.

Cowboy lump is pretty awful. Starters look pretty easy, light and walk way. The pyro inside of me loves the torch. I'm using royal oak and haven't had any problem yet with the spot I light going out, usually come back from food prep and have a blazing egg

Exactly the same here. Tried cowboy and hated. I use royal oak. Hit 2-4 spots for ~30 seconds each.
    Boom
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I like the starters - I'm done lighting and doing something else much faster than you are done jacking with your torch.
  • I like the starters - I'm done lighting and doing something else much faster than you are done jacking with your torch.
    Socialize much?
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Map torch here - And now I learned to hold it in one spot a little longer I am up and cooking in 12-15 minutes.

Garnerville, NY
  • FanOfFanboys
    robnybbq said:
    Map torch here - And now I learned to hold it in one spot a little longer I am up and cooking in 12-15 minutes.

that's key IMO. Really need a solid 30 seconds or so. 3 spots at 30 seconds is much better than 9 spots at 10 seconds. Once I see a flame on the lump is about when I move on.
    Boom
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    I use the little bricketts that came with the egg and once the coals start to have a active fire I have a compressed air hose near my Egg and use it to really get it going. Works great!

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think both methods have their merits.  A map torch is faster IMO, but it is also more "hands on".  If you are using starter cubes or oiled napkins...you can light them and then walk away for a while.  However, I have found you have to leave the dome open for a little while until the fire gets established, thus you have to remember to come back in 5-7 minutes.  Aye, there's the rub.  I usually forget and come back to a rip roaring egg because it took longer to chop those veggies or rub that meat than I thought.   So...this is just me...if I'm using starter material I usually don't do anything until the fire is started other than maybe drink my first beverage.  With the map torch, you can get the fire established fairly quickly, close the dome, set your vents for your target temp, then walk away. 

I actually still use both methods.  If I have plenty of time, I throw in an oily napkin and light it...go pour myself a drink and stand on the deck and watch the fire get established.  If I'm in a hurry...I'm grabbin the map. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse

I like the starters - I'm done lighting and doing something else much faster than you are done jacking with your torch.

Welcome to the forum bud. What you eggin with?

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    @smokeypitt
    That's a great point you made there. The torch is a little more initial work, but after that 1 min, I close the dome and go inside and it sets itself pretty much.

With the fire starters, are there every any duds?

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @smokeypitt That's a great point you made there. The torch is a little more initial work, but after that 1 min, I close the dome and go inside and it sets itself pretty much. With the fire starters, are there every any duds?
    I don't think there are really any duds...they always burn.  Every once in a while...especially if you get a batch of $hitty lump...I have had them burn out completely without really getting the lump started and had to try again with more starters. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    @smokeypitt That's a great point you made there. The torch is a little more initial work, but after that 1 min, I close the dome and go inside and it sets itself pretty much. With the fire starters, are there every any duds?
    I'm nowhere near a minute with the Map. Maybe on WW or some of the more dense stuff. I'll time it tonight but I'm thinking 20 seconds

Steve 

Caledon, ON