Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dark spot under egg

I noticed this dark spot under my XL yesterday after grilling up some fajitas. Should I be concerned about it? I'm worried it might be cracked or something. 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I would clean it out and vacuum it. It looks like you might have a chunk of ceramic loose inside

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cbruce
    cbruce Posts: 19
    I took it apart and cleaned the bottom out. It does not look damaged from the inside at all. The black spot is only on the outside.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Have you low-and-slowed a butt or brisket without a drip pan recently?  The grilling might have cleaned the inside. 

Very strange.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Could it have had something on the outside that melted? Grease/paint etc. Got kids around?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cbruce
    kids were not outside while I was cooking yesterday and I always use a drip pan for low n slow stuff. The only thing I can think of is the head of that metal screw from the nest having something to do with it. I can't tell if the screw is actually touching the ceramic but its pretty close. I appreciate the input. Thanks!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Someone will be here shortly that has experienced it. Got to be some kind of grease working its way out. Is it wet, sticky, any smells?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    To verify a crack or not I would take the guts out,clean real well and put a bit of water in the bottom. If it it cracked you will know very soon. Don't let the water stand long enough to soak in the bottom tho

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I say don't go looking for trouble.  There's really nothing you can do about it, so why worry about it?  Monitor it from time to time, but don't obsess about it.  My advice is to make something delicious in your egg and put it out of your mind.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Wonder if this is due to too much ash removal? I'm a firm believer that it is best to leave at least 1/2" of ash in the bottom all the time. The ash actually protects the fire ceramic. Much like in a wood stove, had a friend who complained the floor fire brick in his insert was constantly cracking. I suggest he leave at least 1/2" of ash in the bottom when he cleaned it, hasn't had a cracked brick since. Like Fred of FLint says, don't worry, be happy. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    ok well I was looking at this very carefully,  now what I noticed,  was that if you look throught the nest and to the back the culprit is there in the back. I think the gasser had something to do with this. or I wonder if it was just set down in somthing when being built? if no cracks shoot no worries.
  • cbruce
    yea....the gasser doesn't  get much love anymore. I do tend to clean out the ash before every use. Good news is, I pulled out all the guts again today to examine it with a sober eye this time. Nothing looks cracked from the inside. Guess I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
  • Did you assemble the egg in the yard?

Do you own a...(let me look at that picture again)...a small to medium sized dog?

Any odd smells noticed during the first few cooks?
    Gittin' there...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168

"And if the Egg breaks open many years too soon

And spills the red-hot lump upon your leg

And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too

You'll blame it all on the dark side of the Egg!"

- Pink Yolk

Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    would be interesting to send this pic to the motheship just to see if it is something.  

but as fred mentioned, just cook and forget about it

XLBGE 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I've never ever looked at the bottom of mine. I wouldn't worry about what color it is as long as it's working OK.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited May 2013
    Looks like it picked up some oil or drippings either from sitting on the ground on somehow by way of the nest wicking it. Maybe your gasser took a shot at it!