Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LOOKIN 4 A SPATCHCOCK RECIPE!!!!!

Options
i ve been hearing that a spatchcock chicken is great..so i want to try one but cant find the recipe on here ...is just a whole chicken split with what ever rub or seasoning you choose ???? how long and what temp and do i need a drip pan???
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

This will head you in the right direction.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here you go..

You pretty much got it.  Cut out the backbone and flatten the bird, apply your favorite rub, and cook.  You can go direct or indirect for this cook.  I think the most common is a raised direct setup.  Cook at 350-400 ish until it is 180 in the thickest part of the thigh...around 40 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the bird.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigGreenHead
    Options
    thank you fellas...i think im going to try this today...i was also wondering at what temp and how long to grill eggplant with tomato...if you could help
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Check YouTube for directions on how to cut.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Slice the eggplant in 1/2 inch slices.  Stack up with a paper towel between each slice to absorb the moisture out of the eggplant.  Coat the eggplant with olive oil both sides, S&P, and on direct at about 350, get the slices about 1/2 way cooked and place a slice of tomato on each eggplant slice, topped with a slice of cheese.  Cook until cheese browns. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Sounds like you have already gotten great info on the spatchcock part but for the eggplant I always cut about 1/2" thick and put a thick coat of sea salt on them and let them sit for a while. This will draw a huge amount of the moisture out of the eggplant. Just remember before you cook to was the salt off and coat with the oil of your choice. I use EVOO I do a dish with eggplant,tomatoes and feta cheese. I put he eggplant on about 7 mins before the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start to soften up I will stack them on the eggplant for about 3 min and then add the feta( fresh basil, if I have it) till the cheese is melted

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BigGreenHead
    Options
    are you supposed to flip the bird at anytime
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited May 2013
    Options

I usually do! about the first 10-15 minutes skin side down...finish flipped over.

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I usually do not. I generally do mine indirect at about 400 or so.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I usually do not. I generally do mine indirect at about 400 or so.
    I also do not flip the chicken and cook indirect at 400 for an hour or so.  For me, it is the best way to cook a whole chicken.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA