Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What about lump used on a previous cook?

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The BGE uses an amazingly small amount of lump. Therefore, there is usually a lot of "used" lump left over after a cook.[p]I am wondering if "used" lump does as well on future cooks as new lump.[p]Can you tell the difference?[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Kyle,
    I find it will be a little less smokey and the pieces get very brittle/fragile, so stirring it up generates a lot of little pieces. Not necessarily bad or good, but something to be aware of, I think. Also, if the old lump is covered with chicken fat or other drippings of a previous cook, you will want to let that burn off if possible before adding the food on the next cook[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    what he means by all this is "no"
    nuthin to worry about.
    add some new lump, light it, enjoy.[p]that crazy whiz... like askin thomas edison whether copper wire is better than aluminum.[p]99% of the folks won't care either way, but he's so smart, he gots a spreadsheet that'll clarify things for everyone![p](just joshin you, whiz. k? we still cool, bro?)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I appreciate your thoughts. Sometimes I feel a little silly posting some types of questions but you have been a big help.[p]Have a nice evening.[p]Kyle
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hi Kyle,
    Read an interesting thing the other day and I just started doing it. It suggested that you save the small leftover pieces in a separate bag. The larger pieces probably haven't been burned and can be used in your next cook. But when you are, for example, having steaks and you want a hot fire fast, start your present leftovers and then dump your small pieces on. They'll light fast and you will be up to temp real fast. Sort of solves both dilemias, you're not wasting the small pieces and still being able to accurately control lower temps