Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's "Pulled Pork?"

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Excuse me, but either I've been terribly sheltered from the food culture, or I've been in the North Woods too long. But what do you folks mean when you talk about "pulled pork."[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Anthony Up North,
    Tough to answer. Its like asking what is butter - hard to explain and something you just assume everyone is familiar with. [p]Picture shreaded pork - its not sliced and its not been ground like hamburger - its the only other way to do it. [p]Explaining how you get it is easier - take a well cooked, very done, piece of pork (at 200 deg - its done!) and it pretty much comes apart by itself. You shread it up - I use two forks- and then add BBQ sauce and place between two buns.[p]Tim

• Tim M,[p]Yep! I know what you mean. Some things are tougher to explain than to do. You done good. [p]I was wondering what to do with left over pork. You notice it never is in a delacattesin (sp?). My wife has always put it in egg-foo or warmed-up with gravy. [p]But this sounds great - shredded with BBQ sauce on a bun. [p]Will give it a try next time I do pork.[p]Thanks Tim - you are always man on the spot.[p]Anthony

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Anthony Up North,[p]Pulled pork is the result of a cook that involves a long, low temp cook required to break down the toughness of the meat from the upper front leg and shoulder area of a pig. The cook is used on the picnic and butt cuts.[p]The result is a delicate, but quite flavorful difference from the norm. A very worthwhile cook.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Anthony Up North, Tim's always on some kinda spot..:-)..
    Yep..pulled pork ain't stretched rubber ducky..It's genuine real southern pride cooking and done right it will may ya mouth water for more...done wrong and its still good enuff to make ya yell for another bite..But remember, done right its a memorable occassion. Yell when your ready.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP_040900_121004.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North, sometimes a picture is worth a 1,000,000 words...

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Anthony Up North, I see several have tried to explain pulled pork to you, but you know what they say about one picture is worth 1,000 words. Go to Gfw's site click on recipes then pulled pork and go to the bottom. RRP

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Char-Woody,
    Sooooo, it Southern cookin - that wy jack pine jockey's in the far north like me never heard of that term. How'd you get so smart Char-Woody bein from Iowayyyy?[p]Yes,I will yell when I do that kind of pork - which will be soon.[p]Enjoy your 4th.[p]Anthony

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Gfw, you devil you! beat me by 30 seconds and 999,000 words!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    butt4.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North, how soon we forget. The picture is from last weekend. Give it a try... it will turn out perfect!

• Gfw
    RRP, one day soon we'll have to get together for a Chimay, or at least a beer! Have a great weekend.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Anthony Up North, from swapping short's with these southern cooks for 3 yar now...That will smarten anyone up..:-)
    Enjoy your 4th also!!!
    C~W[p]