Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Redfish

Options
Caught and cooked up some "blackened redfish", baked potatoes and corn.  Used a different blackening seasoning, that was a little on the spicy side, but a great meal!!   Got the potatoes going early, then the corn about thirty minutes later, then the fish.  All direct at 450 degrees..

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Outstnading @Charlie_tuna. Bet it tasted even better since you caught it. What was in the blackening seasoning?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I used a new one (for me) called "Louisiana Cajun Blackening Seasoning".  Melted some butter and let it cool well.  Dip the very cold fillets in the butter, then season with the blackening seasoning(lightly).  Served with fresh lemon quarters.  I was a little suprised that i didn't get MORE smoke off the cast iron at 450 degrees.  Not much smoke??  This is the first time i've blackened anything "knowing" the temperature, so i guess on my earlier cooks, it must have been twice as hot???  But i like this seasoning, it has some good bite - but it doesn't last long..
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I love blackened redfish.  However, Texas law forbids selling wild caught redfish.  It's a game fish only.  I'm not sure what other fish would work as well.

The last time I cooked it (years ago), I used Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Seafood Magic.  It was great, as I recall.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I think any lean, or light tasting fish will blacken, i have used snapper, snook and permit.  I am not considering tuna steaks, but that might come out fishy tasting???  I normally use Prudhomme's too, but this Louisiana Seasoning is stronger and seems to stay on the flesh, kind of melts into the butter.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited May 2013
    Options

Awesome. Man I miss those trips when I still lived back home. I'm too far from the coast now to make a one day trip. Nothing like a redfish on bass tackle trying to rip your arm off. We used to catch them on topwater in a lake south of Thibodeaux, LA. Where are you located?

That Paul Prudhomme's blackening seasoning is top notch.

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    Options
    I love blackened redfish.  However, Texas law forbids selling wild caught redfish.  It's a game fish only.  I'm not sure what other fish would work as well.

The last time I cooked it (years ago), I used Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Seafood Magic.  It was great, as I recall.

Black drum can be substituted for redfish.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options

Black drum can be substituted for redfish.
    That makes sense, since redfish is a drum too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    We cook redfish all the time. A favorite way is "on the half shell". You basically keep the skin and scales on, season with rub, butter and lemon and cook skin side down. Super easy (redfish are not fun to clean). Don't even have to flip. I need to try blackened for sure.
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Options
    Looks great!  What kind of blackened seasoning is everyone's favorit?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've only eaten redfish a few times, never cooked it myself. Right now I want to go fishing with you, to ride along as a taster!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    caliking said:
    I've only eaten redfish a few times, never cooked it myself. Right now I want to go fishing with you, to ride along as a taster!
    Let me warn you, "there ain't a whole lot of room for an egg!".......

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    I cook blackened redfish all the time.  Another fish that blackens real well is catfish.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but Talapia is supposed to be great blackened -- but i'm soon to find out!  The wife made a wrap out of the leftover, i mean "makeover" blackened redfish for lunch -- i'm sold on that !!  FOR SURE !!