Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cinco de Mayo Brisket

sumoconnell
sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
I live in Austin, born in Maine.  My wife is from Monterrey Mexico.  

So - of course I'm planning my first brisket for Sunday, May 5th. I hope celebrate my victory over store bought BBQ!

I have a LBGE, what is the longest/largest hunk of cow you can fit in that bad boy?

I plan on starting simple/ old school - salt'n'peppa.  I'd like to get some briskets under my belt before our annual Garner state park trip this summer. 

Any advice?

-sumo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've seen where some guys use a foil wrapped brick under the flat if it's too long. They will shrink up a lot during the cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My friend just did a 15lb with no problem.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • My friend just did a 15lb with no problem.

I've done 17. You can kind of "accordion" them in there. I've found that 10-12 is kind of the sweet spot for the Briskets i do. Bigger is not always better.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@sumoconnell I applaud your efforts to jump into the world of brisket, but I wouldn't run out and buy the biggest brisket I could find. I like to keep mine in the 10-12 lb range. I find larger ones are a bit tougher. I'll generally pick up just about every one in the store and hold it from one end and see how much it will bend. You want a 'bendy' one, not one that is firm and unflexible.  If you do go larger, you can put a foil wrapped brick or an opened Coke can in the middle and drape it over it until it shrinks down a bit and can lay flat.

Garner state park, huh? Seems like forever since I've been out that way. Great place to vacay in the summer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Thanks guys - 

10-12 it is for the first cook.  Is it Friday yet?  I'm ready for the weekend.  

Austin based folks - where do you get your lump?  HEB only has B&B and Royal Oak. I'm tired of the B&B fireworks.

Griffin - Garner is one of my favorite places.  Went the first time 5 years ago and I'm back every year since - large group.  So, for Garner I'll need a larger cook.  I can do a brisket at home, and FTC on the drive down. I'm pushing SWBO to bring the egg, but she thinks I'd never leave the cabin, and I'd bring the egg indoors every night :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.