Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Replacement Gasket - Should I bother?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
Got the warranty gasket but I plan on doing many pizzas this summer.  Should I just skip the BGE one and put a Rutland on instead?  Thanks for your advice.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    yea, rutlands last forever.  Many will tell you to go naked, spose that will work if dome adjusted but I like that cushion of a gasket to avoid any stupid human error events.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Personal preference.  Some swear by the BGE high heat gasket, some swear by the Rutland and others swear by having no gasket at all.  Sorry I'm not much help.  IMO, you already have a gasket in hand, put it on.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I had a replacement that my dealer charged me $16. , but like you, asked myself if i wanted to go thru the trouble of using this POS and be back in the same situation in six months.  I ordered the rutland from RRP on the other forum.  That was two+ years ago.  The big thing i realized after changing to the rutland was how fast my egg shut down and how much lump i had been wasting!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    After 2 replacements of the normal BGE gasket they came out with the high heat gasket and I used it. That was about 1yr ago and several pizzas later. I think the key to non gasket frying pizza cooks is the PS legs up.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    Options
    I put a Rutland Gasket on mine yesterday that I got from RRP and I agree with Charlie Tuna the egg shuts down better with the Rutland.  Gasket, permatex and the 3m bit for the drill was around 25.00.  That is cheaper than the Hi-Que gasket I replaced.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited April 2013
    Options
    +1 what B&BKnox sayed
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

After 2 replacements of the normal BGE gasket they came out with the high heat gasket and I used it. That was about 1yr ago and several pizzas later. I think the key to non gasket frying pizza cooks is the PS legs up.

How do you know if you got the high heat gasket?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I think the worst situation for the gasket is to have a direct raised grid (at gasket level) and the pizza stone on top of it.  All the direct heat flames are wrapping around the stone and licking the gasket area.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    QDude said:
    How do you know if you got the high heat gasket?
    The original stock gasket was grey, the new high temp gasket is nomex, and is very bright white. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!