Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Crust?

Options
I've cooked a lot of pizza, but I always use crust bought from the local bakery.  I've tried homade once before and it was a disaster.  Anyone have a fool (me) proof dough that doesn't need to sit overnight.  I'm having pizza tonight and would like to mix it up some.
 LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited April 2013
    Options
    1.5 tbs of yeast
    1 cup warm water, just warm, let the yeast sit in the water until it bubbles (about 5 min)

2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbs sugar

mix all ingredients in stand mixer, mix on slow till a dough ball is made around the bread hook.  remove and knead a ball on a mat that has loose flour sprinkled on it.  then i just let the ball sit for while I'm doing the other stuff maybe 30 min.  When making pies i like to par bake it on a non stick sprayed aluminum pan for 5-7 min until done enough to move off easy.  this is not needed but I'm not very good at moving the raw pies, thinking about getting a super peel. 
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013
    Options

Zippylip's recipe is solid, and a good starting point.  It was my first scratch-made dough recipe.  Other than that, I would maybe pick up a doughball from your favorite local pizza joint. 

And next pizza session, manage the time to allow for a longer fermentation.  

http://s330.photobucket.com/user/schwansonlip/media/Pizza/229404c7.pbw.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Our "same day" crust mix is similar to the above except, only 1 tsp of yeast. After mixing, it goes into an oiled bowl, covered and let rise for an hour or two, then work out onto the same PC mat as @MrCookingNurse
    This mix even works in a skillet for deep dish, although a Tbs or two of corn meal is nice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @focker

really enjoyed the video thanks for positing!

XLBGE 
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks for the imput.  I was just at the local grocery store salad bar loading up on fresh cut veggies.  I don't have any yeast at home. The kids are napping and wife working so I'm going to have to try homemade on Sunday.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I think that you should try the Tipo 00 flour sold by Antimo Caputo.  I did 4 pizzas last weekend that were out of this world.  I got my dough recipe from a pizzamaking forum and it is great.  I will post the recipe for a 14" pizza when I get home later tonight.  You won't be disappointed.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is a great dough recipe from Serious Eats. I highly recommend it.