Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot: squash leaves

Options
I'm new to this garden thing. I know some of y'all do it or I wouldn't post this here. My leaves on some of my plants are turning a white grayish color. Is that ok?

These are zucchini
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

These are spaghetti squash

On a positive note I have a few cayenne peppers :)

XLBGE 

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Are you watering with nutrients? If so, are you following prescribed amounts and or using them every watering? 

If yes I would use just water for in between feeding.  Maybe check PH as well.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Looks like chemical burn to me
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    rtt121 said:

Are you watering with nutrients? If so, are you following prescribed amounts and or using them every watering? 

If yes I would use just water for in between feeding.  Maybe check PH as well.

No just water. They are in raised beds with some garden soil mixed in.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Looks like chemical burn to me

That's what my father in law said, but haven't used anything on them. I bought a couple bags of garden soil and mixed it in with the dirt in my yard and filled raised beds.

XLBGE 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I looked through my Southern Living Gardening book. This looks like Powdery Mildew. I have quoted the section from the book for common squash issues. If none of this helps, I usually email Walter Reeves "The Georgia Gardener" from his website.

"For all types of squash, the most serious pest is squash vine borer, a large white caterpillar that tunnels through stems, causing vines to wilt and die. Squash bugs are another possible pest; they suck plant juices, causing stems to blacken and wilt. To control both pests, plant under floating row covers, or dust or spray the base of the plants with rotenone or carbaryl (Sevin) every 7 to 10 days during the growing season. Squash bugs lay yellowish to brown egg clusters on the undersides of leaves; look for these and destroy them. You can also spray the undersides of leaves with rotenone or insecticidal soap.
    The most common disease affecting squash is powdery mildew on the foliage; to discourage it, plant in full sun, maintain good air circulation around plants, avoid wetting the foliage, and remove infected leaves as soon as you see them. Neem oil and antitranspirants can also be effective."
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @biggreenbamagriller

Man thanks!!

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Sure you have a couple of gallons of Neem Oil around the house
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SWMBO has the green thumb around here. To optimize water use and keep the foliage from getting wet, she runs a soaker hose through the beds and hooks it up to a timer on one of the yard faucets. Saves on the water bill and the water gets to the roots where plants need it the most. She also lays straw down in the beds to keep weeds out and help with water retention.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.