Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Strip

I have cooked New York strips 2 times now and they seem a little tough. I must admit that I usually buy Ribeyes due to the taste and tenderness but Fresh Market had a sale I couldn't pass up. I have cooked on around 600 degrees one time and another 375. Both times the steaks were a little tough. Am I doing anything wrong? I was cooking to medium well. Thanks.
Gulf Coast FL

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Medium Well ain't cool.  Cook it up to about 125 internal.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Are you cooking to temp or time?  How done were they both times?  Sometimes NY Strips just aren't marbled enough to help them stay tender - who says lean is better.

I usually do NY Strips by first bathing in a marinade of balsamic/worchestershire, soy sauce, a dash of hot sauce, dijon, fresh garlic and herbs. Several hours in that bath and they always got flavour if even a bit lean

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    first off, I find strip to be "tougher" than ribeye. Usually they do not have the marbeling and fat of a ribeye.  Just because you are used to ribeye could be the only problem.

now, I eat my steak med rare to rare, so med well is always gonna be tough to me

XLBGE 
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Thank you for the replies. I think the next time I will marinate them prior to the cook. I really need to get a thermapen but I spent around $1200 on egg, table and EGGcessories the last couple of months. I am waiting a little bit before spending another $100.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    NY strip needs some help and it is using a Jaccard. Hit is with this and they are like Rib eyes as far as texture goes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited April 2013
    grEGGorys said:
    I really need to get a thermapen... I am waiting a little bit before spending another $100.

A thermapen is just a thermometer that gives you a temp superfast.  A $10 digital thermometer will give you the same temp - but may take 10 seconds to give it.  I made fine quality food for many years with my cheapie before the thermapen (which I now love and couldn't be without).

If you don't have a thermo - get what you can comfortably fit in the budget now - since it is the only way to turn out best quality steak, chicken breasts, pork chops etc.  IMO. 

I would run away from any analog or dial thermo - they just take too long and get off calibration easy

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    grEGGorys said:
    Thank you for the replies. I think the next time I will marinate them prior to the cook. I really need to get a thermapen but I spent around $1200 on egg, table and EGGcessories the last couple of months. I am waiting a little bit before spending another $100.

Spending 100 bucks on a great thermometer is worth it so you don't ruin 500 dollars worth of meat before getting one.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I had this strip last night and it was the best steak I have ever had. No eggasuration!! I filled the directions for the TREX method. I hope this helps.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2013
    I used to love ribeyes, but now my favorite cut is New York Strip. I suggest searing em hot, then roast the rest of the way. Try to shoot for medium at a minimum and don't forget to rest your steaks for 5-10 minutes after you pull em off.

There are many folks that can cook a perfect steak by feel, so it's possible. You can also use this test to help ya out until you get a thermapen or equivalent:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

For seasoning, I just use coarse salt and pepper and I drop a garlic butter ball on each steak during their rest.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....