Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rutland Installed...question.

Options
Just installed my new Rutland gasket tonight. I wanted to wait until temps hit 70 degrees consistently, but this cool spring isn't cooperating. Installation was easy. I used permatex ultra copper for the adhesive.

Temp was about 55 degrees when I installed the gasket. The tube says 24 hour cure time at 70 degrees, longer in cooler temps. Anybody have thoughts on how much longer?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have no clue but I would wait 48 to be safe.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I know a lot of people have built a small fire @ 250* for a couple hours to cure in temps like this but like you I have been waiting.  It's 37 degrees and raining for me right now.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    As of last week I have them on all four of mine.  The small was the last to get one and it was 45* here in NE when it was installed.  I let it set three days and I've got a small Hormel pork loin on as we speak.  Three days was plenty at that temp.  It set up and works/looks as good as the ones I've done in the summer.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @chubbs, that's what I was thinking. 48 hours without egged food...I'll starve!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @BOWHUNR is about 60 miles from me so I guess there is your answer.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No experience on an egg - but have done a few on my woodstove, temp in that room is never over 60F unless the fire is on and it can't be on until it sets. 
    After 48 hours it is set and I always light a small fire, kindling only. After 60 hours it is good to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!