Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Meatloaf

If you don't like or ever eat ground turkey, don't read this post.  My intent was to make a meatloaf (my 9 year old daughter asked for it, she tasted meatloaf at a family member's house and liked it and wanted me to cook it on the BGE).  The meatloaf was a month long process of me looking at several recipes and pulling different elements from watching food network, reading the forum and checking the internet.  We eat a lot of ground turkey, and the kiddos are used to it (and it is healthier) so figured I would try it in lieu of ground beef. Queen was out of town so this was a freebie - if the kiddos eat it then it is at least edible.  Especially if my 7 year old caveman eats it (no veggies, meat and potatoes).  He loved it!  
This recipe is easily converted to a pure beef or bison recipe, or expanded to a pork/veal/ground sirloin recipe.  So here goes:

2 LBS Ground Turkey
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup BGE Sweet Maple Seasoning (or season-all)
1/3 cup Dizzy Dust (all purpose BBQ seasoning)
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 cup baby bella mushrooms 
1 cup bell pepper finely diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 squirt yellow mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP Worcestshire sauce
1 cup bread crumbs (or 2 slices of bread finely ground, food processor)
1 egg
6 basil leaves torn
1 TBSP dried thyme (grind in a mortar/pestle to aerate)
1 package turkey bacon

mix all ingredients with the exception of the EVOO, garlic, onion, tomato, bell pepper and Dizzy Dust (for the top, right before it goes on the BGE).  Saute with salt and pepper to taste and add to the mix prior to cooking.  Cover with a healthy portion of Dizzy Dust.  Cook for 60-75 minutes at 400F on the BGE, or until the mixture shrinks by a quarter inch overall in volume.  Add turkey bacon on top at 30 minutes into the cook.  Reserve drippings at the 30 minute mark from pan for a gravy (combine with a basic rue [butter/flour] for a fantastic gravy).  
Note - for a more full recipe and flavor, substitute ricotta for cottage cheese.   Another addition is 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grated parmesan to the mixture.  The basil is a flavor the familia is familiar with, but not all families will like it.  We use it lot, especially in pizza and spaghetti (kid food!).  
Bon Appetit!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Only one item you might want to think about. If it will hold on its own go without the pan and get more crust all around.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sounds good I will have to add it to the ever growing list of things to try! 

7 year old caveman… Love it 

=))
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    The Mrs tried pushing turkey burgers on use before. Epic Fail. 

While the cottage cheese in a meatloaf brings up reservations, I can definitely see how it would add moisture, to this cook.

+1 on pan-less if it will hold together. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Mickey - Good point on the crust - I would need to add some more bread crumbs or use ricotta - it needed a pan to start.  Maybe I could move it out after the first 30 minutes or so....

@Solson005 - I will use ricotta or a more rich cheese next time; maybe even some shredded smoked gouda that I did on the BGE last week (once it sits up!).

@tazcrash - your right turkey is a learned behavior.  Beauty of the BGE is the lump makes everything good.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Looks and sounds great. If I can make one suggestion, try dehydrated onion flakes as your binder instead of the breadcrumbs. The absorb what juice there is in the turkey and hold it where breadcrumbs tend to dry out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I will try that!  Thanks @Little Steven!