Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first polder purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to buy my first polder. Is there such a thing as a wireless polder. I have been shopping for one in the local pot & pan stores - they have never heard of one. If I do have to buy a polder with a wire - does that bad to have it hang out - loosing that seal and heat etc?[p]Thanks for your help - there is a lot to learn - cooking on a BGE is an art.[p]Thanks,
Wes

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Wes,[p]The wire on the polder is so thin, that it doesn't cause any leaking that I've seen. I did notice on Polders's web site that their new model has a count up feature. I would get that one.

• Aardvark
    Aardvark Posts: 5
    Options
    Wes,
    I have seen an article in the local paper about a "Remote BBQ/Oven Thermometer" that is sold by SharperImage. It is a be pricey at $89.95 but if it is what you need, go for it.
    It claims to transmit up to 75 feet. The transmitter is outside the cooking chamber, much like a Polder would be.[p]Check it out on www.sharperimage.com

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Wes,[p]I have the Remote Check thermometer that Aardvark mentioned. It has a Polder-like unit that sits outside the Egg, and transmits to a remote receiver. There is still a thin wire connecting the probe to the transmitter. No problem in terms of heat loss; this wire (like the Polder's) is thin enough that it doesn't interrupt the seal, as Irish Smoker said.[p]The Remote Check works fine; it is expensive, but a great convenience for overnight cooks and nasty weather.[p]Cathy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Irish Smoker,[p]I'm interested in buying the Polder with the count up feature you mentioned but I can't find their web site. Could I get the web site and the model number of the unit you recommend? Thanks