Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question on Boston Butt????

I forgot to put my boston butt in fridge out of freezer last night to defrost and I wanted to cook tonight.  It is in the fridge now but does anyone know the fastest and safest way to defrost it to have it ready to go on tonight?

Thanks!
Casey

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Put it in a big pot, and run tap water over it. Swap out the water every 1/2 hour or so, as the butt chills the water. Return to fridge when defrosted. If it is still quite frozen 3 hours before you want to prep it for cooking, sit it changes of hot tap water (c. 125F).
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I agree with gdenby, or leave it in the freezer and run to the store and buy another one.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    You can actually go from frozen straight to the BGE-the cook will take about an hour or so longer than normal due to the lower starting temp but several have been in your situation and gone that route with eggcellent results.  (Disclaimer-I have not personally done it...) YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I agree with cap. Let it defrost enough to get some rub on it and throw it in the egg. It will be great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    I'd throw it in a brine made with cool, but not cold, water to help it defrost a bit.  If it is in a salted brine, just leave it out of the fridge until ready to cook; it can't spoil.  Then, dry it, rub it and toss it in - even if not fully defrosted.  
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Cook it frozen.  Start 1-2 hours earlier or cook 25-50 degrees hotter.  You won't be able to tell the difference.
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    I have had it in cool water for a few hours to get it defrosted some.  I have been changing water every 30 minutes.  I just took it out, dried it off, and put on the swamp venom run over mustard with a little salt and pepper.  It is back in the fridge now to wait till tonight when I put it on the LBGE!
    Thanks for the advice!