Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt

I have just acquired a 6.55 lb Boston Butt from Publix and stopped at Kroger for some Bad Byron's.  I plan to start tomorrow morning in order to have ready for dinner.  What is the popular opinion on trimming the fat cap?  Also, how long before placing on Egg would you apply rub?

I will follow up with pictures.  This is the maiden voyage of my thermapen and AR.  SWMBO'd will be getting some shoes for this I feel sure.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    + or - an hour. I put BR then mustard and more BR.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    + or - an hour. I put BR then mustard and more BR.
    Thank you sir.  Do you trim the fat cap? 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What do you consider "dinner time"?  I would leave the fat cap and remove the fat during the pulling process.
  • What do you consider "dinner time"?  I would leave the fat cap and remove the fat during the pulling process.
    My plan is to shoot for eating about 6:00 or 6:30.  I am hoping to be able to start around 11. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What Charlie said.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    You can go ahead and rub now and throw it in the fridge. Also I place the fat side down on the grid.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    I cooked two 8 pound butts last weekend and started them at 9:30 AM, butts went into the cooler for their rest period at 5:00 PM.  I would start them earlier and have them in the cooler - "cooked", rested and ready to pull and serve.  You know the rest period can hold the finished butt for four or five hours..  This allows you to have a cold beverage and relax BEFORE dinner.. 
  • I cooked two 8 pound butts last weekend and started them at 9:30 AM, butts went into the cooler for their rest period at 5:00 PM.  I would start them earlier and have them in the cooler - "cooked", rested and ready to pull and serve.  You know the rest period can hold the finished butt for four or five hours..  This allows you to have a cold beverage and relax BEFORE dinner.. 
    I like the way you think
  • Charlie tuna
    PS:  Don't forget to post some pictures ! :)]