Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh the excitement!!

Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I'm expecting multiple groups of dinner guests over the next week. Tonight, spareribs. Sunday, pulled pork. And for Thursday, my butcher has agreed to order me an "untrimmed whole brisket, with second cut." I.e., with both point & flat. It's hard enough to find one with a fat cap in my fat-phobe neighborhood, so I'm looking forward to cooking the entire thing.[p]Hope everyone has a terrific holiday weekend!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Cat, just the opposite for me - wife went back to North Dakota for the weekend so my plans mostly just include eating and cooking. Started last night with Terayki steak, baby backs are on the grill and the beef jerky is marinating in the fridge. Will probably get some salmon for tomorrow and Sunday is still open. Terrible when the weekend consists of playing, cooking and eating.[p]Have a great 4th!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Cat,[p]Having had the distinct honor of being a dinner guest in your home, I know just how lucky your invitees are. Let us know how that whole brisket comes out, never did more than a flat myself. [p]I'll will also be doing a little Eggin for a small group of friends. May the weatherman smile down upon NYC as he seems to be doing here on the North Coast.[p]K~G

• Cat
    KennyG,[p]Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;-} I'm sure mid-day Thursday I'll be here, asking for help.[p]Enjoy your weekend. The weather here is a match for yours -[p]Cathy
  • SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Gfw,
    Don't work too hard this weekend Gordon! Sounds like a good thing to do. Still don't know for sure what we are going to EGG yet. The ribs were awesome last weekend. Maybe try a butt. Have not found a butcher yet. Need to keep looking. Thought we would try BJ's tomorrow and see what they have. Have a happy 4th!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    j0178291.gif
    <p />SpiceCooks, best to both of you on a great weekend. This weekend, almost all of my treats came from Sam's Club - all, except the ribs - I have to support my local butcher who sells ribs with membrane removed. Happy 4th!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    festbrisket.jpg
    <p />Cat,
    There is something mystic about cooking a big ol chunk-o-chest!! Beautiful too the way it takes up most of the grate. But the best thing, besides actually eating it, is the wonderful smell. I'll be working the entire weekend![p]Have a great long weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm sorry you have to work all weekend, but selfishly glad you'll be at your computer...so I can yell for help with this real-by-God unadulterated chunk o'chest I've got coming. (I'll only believe I've gotten the real deal when I see it.)[p]Take a minute or two off to Egg something...it will make you more productive. ;-}[p]Cathy

• Nature Boy
    Cat,
    I did get to do some babybacks for lunch today, that Tim helped me consume, along with a Chimay. I WILL find some time to smoke something this wekend. [p]Cathy, you were cooking briskets back when I was still in my gas grill fetus. You helped me get started with your solid advice last year! I'll be at my computer most of the weekend, but me thinks you will charge thru this project with authority!![p]How are you spicing the chunk-o-chest?? When does it go on??[p]Cheers, a tired NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]Appreciate the encouragement...but I've never done a WHOLE one, and I haven't done as many briskets as you have. Roy likes pulled pork best, so that's what I tend to do most. [p]Current plan is to give it a brush of mustard, then a nice sugarless rub from Paul Kirk's book. Red oak for smoke. I'll start it the night before, over a water-filled drip pan, & keep the dome temp at 220 or so. I've never done an overnight brisket before. Does that sound about right?[p]All this may change depending on what I get - I was told the whole thing would weigh around 10 pounds. Advice & critique welcome![p]Cathy[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Cat,
    Sounds like a plan! [p]I would go with minimum 250 dome...especially with water in the pan. 220 over water will go too slowly I think.[p]Cheers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]Yessir. Stay close to that Macintosh, okay? ;-}[p]Cathy
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Cat,
    Hi Cat. I have got a high school buddy coming in for the holidays from Los Alamos, NM - the nuke place where they had that big fire. You might say he's jumping from a forest's fire to the egg's smoke. [p]I'm gonna do another pulled pork and something else - ribs, chicken, fish - I have not decided.

• Cat
    char buddy ,[p]I had leftover spares for lunch, and just finished rubbing down a 7 lb. butt. [p]It's a pork-fat kind of weekend. ;-}[p]Enjoy your friend's visit, and whatever you decide to Egg.[p]Cathy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Cat,
    Pork Fat Rules
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Cat,
    16-18 hours a day, for the next week...I'll be behind this dang mac. arrg. I'll keep an eye out for ya.
    Gave a blast!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    [p]Thanks, Chris. I hope your client appreciates your dedication!

• Nature Boy
    Cat,
    Always nice when they appreciate it!![p]I keep thinkin' about that big ol' check when it's all over and done! That is what really keeps me goin' on this thing. It would be acceptable to me if they didn't really appreciate it...as long as they send that check. hehe.[p]Thawing some chicken. Gonna have to get outside this evening and cook sumthin daggon it. Probably real simple with prudhommes poultry magic on some leg quarters, or sumthin like that. Maybe mustard and JJs.. Gorgeous down here today.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]As you said recently, sometimes simplest is best! Put a little of the rub under the skin.[p]Gorgeous up here too.[p]Enjoy the evening -[p]Cathy

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JimW,[p]Pork fat makes any meal happy, happy, happy![p]Bam,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Cat,
    Just got creative and mixed up a cool paste with mustard and a buch of stuff. Cut the leg quarters into thighs and drumsticks, cut off the fat, peeled back the skin leaving in attached, and rubbed that goop all in and around. Can't wait to open a beer, and fire up the egg!![p]If it works I'll post the recipe "Mustard Chipotle Freedom Chicken".[p]Yeeee Ha!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com