Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar cane question

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited April 2013 in Off Topic
Just got back from my local Oriental/Asian/Carribean market. Noticed they have sugar cane stalks. I assume these are green and my question is whether they should be dried before use as a smoking wood.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2013
    That is interesting. You can use them as they are now for some interesting things - grind up some shrimp, add a little binder like bread crumbs, seasoning and mold portions of it around little sticks of sugar cane You would need to peel the sugar cane first, then cut it into maybe pencil thickness sticks or even as thick as a marker maybe. Smoke/grill until shrimp mixture is cooked, Kind of a sugarcane shrimp kabab.

Not sure how it would do as smoking wood- all the sugar in it might burn?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    I've heard about guys using it but never paid attention cause it doesn't grow around these parts a lot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I read that a dude on the Texas BBQ forum likes using green cane, especially on poultry. He said that he cuts them at the "nodes". He is an Egghead as well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Frank uses them all the time and I think he told me he just puts them in the freezer till needed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mickey said:
    Frank uses them all the time and I think he told me he just puts them in the freezer till needed.
    I've heard of this, never used as a smoking wood, but I know a guy who does/did. Like Mickey says, he kept them in the freezer, chunks were about same as most wood chunks, he cut them up with a pruning loper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Slice off a couple of pencil size pieces - stick them through a nice chunk of yellow fin or blue fin Tuna.   Roll that around on the grill for a few minutes to sear the outside, leaving the inside uncooked.   The sugar cane imparts a very nice flavor.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Thanks man! I'll see if I can get a second mortgage to buy a piece

Steve 

Caledon, ON