Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

West, Texas

Options
What a tragedy: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20130417-dozens-possibly-dead-in-massive-fertilizer-plant-explosion-in-west.ece

I used to stop in West any time a traveled down I-35 to pick up some fresh kolaches. I hope no one on this forum was directly affected by this but, if so, you'll be in my prayers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Yep.  They are also referencing the 1947 fertilizer explosion on the ship at Texas City that almost wiped the entire town off the map.  Fertilizer is dangerous sh*t (pun intended).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Options
    First news I thought they were saying in west Texas. But West, Texas is just 65 miles down the road. So very sorry for the families there. German / Czech community. They also have the Worst Fest each year and people from all over come.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    There is a crazy and disturbing video on YouTube of the explosion from a dad and a little girl in a truck. Search for it if you must see, but they said they felt it all the way up in the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex.

Crazy scary stuff over there too with all the anhydrous ammonia they have.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Here is the explosion. It is crazy scary.

I won't post it directly unless someone wants it.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    That waz crazy. Sad thing to happen
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    My heart goes out to all those effected. 
    That video is scary. Knowing the result all I could do is say: get out of there. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The devastation is unbelievable. Thoughts are with those affected and sincere condolences to those who lost family, what a terrible event. 

@Mickey - did you feel/hear anything? CNN was reporting the explosion was felt up to 150 miles away, as you say, you are only about an hour down the road. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Real bad deal.  My prayers for all affected by this.  My best friend lives between Waco and Mexia.  I have tried to get a hold of him and have not heard back.  I'm sure they're fine, but I'll bet their house got shook pretty good.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @<A class=Username href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/60759/Eggcelsior"><STRONG><FONT color=#00573d size=3>Eggcelsior</FONT></STRONG></A>  thanks for posting that. Linda told me about it this morning but after seeing your post it makes the hair on your arms stand up... What if it were you..... If anyone catches anything on the child please post here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very sad indeed. I used to live in Waco just down the road and traveled through often as well as attended the West Fest yearly. We still go through there many times a year, but no longer to stop to get kolaches as its too crowded (btw try going into town instead of right off 35 to get kolaches, they are better and no crowd). I'm going to find a place to stop and donate blood on the way home as I think I heard on the radio it is needed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I stopped there before salado.....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN