Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greetings from Fireball

Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good day to everyone. This is my first entry on the Forum. However I have been reading for about 2 months. I have a small BGE on order, delivery next week. After reading postings, I know I will be welcomed into the family. A steak is the first Q. After searching the Archives for answers about salmon, I still am unclear about the following. Should I put the salmon directly on the grill or use a basket? Also, are there any BGE owners living in Southwest Michigan on the Forum.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Fireball,[p]Welcome! Good to have you with us.[p]I do skin-on salmon filets direct at a dome temp of 225-250. Cooked skin-side down, they don't stick; I don't turn them. They take about an hour.[p]There are many other ways to do salmon, as I'm sure you'll hear.[p]Enjoy the new Egg, and let us know how you're doing -[p]Cathy

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Fireball,[p]Welcome to the forum family! We are here to help you get the most out of your new Egg. For smoking, salmon filets can go right on the cooking grid, skin side down if unskinned.[p]Forum members J Appledog and Fingers are out your way.[p]K~G
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Fireball,
    Great to have you aboard.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Fireball,[p]Glad you just "jumped on board". This is a fun group! I do salmon on a mesh screen like thing but I think it would depend if you're cooking salmon filets or salmon steaks. I recommend you use some Pam or some light oil on the gill, the fish could stick.[p]Smokey
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Fireball,[p]I have about 15 pounds of salmon on tap for this weekend, a whole grouper, and about a 3 pound amberjack steak. All of them are to be cooked the same way but the method of preparation has been a bit different for each of the different types of fish.[p]The salmon steaks - 8 of them - are put into a large dish(s), skin side down, and lightly sprinkled with salt, sugar, and a bit of dill. I do this sprinkle routine 2-3 times until there is a light coating on the fish. This stays on the fish overnight.[p]The whole grouper is to be cooked as it is, just a bit of lemon juice and garlic added to it during the cook. Grouper has a great flavor all by itself so I try not to mess with it too much.[p]The Amberjack steak is rubbed with a nice seafood rub that I have, has been rubbed and refrigerated since last night. I've never smoked AJ, will be interesting to see how it comes out.[p]All of these will be cooked (smoked) indirect over about a 180-200 degree fire with a TON of cherry smoke added for some flavor. They typically take 4-5 hours but for this much fish I think it may take a bit longer. Toward the end of the cook I let the temp climb to about 235 or so, usually over the last hour and a half.[p]It all goes on the grill in about an hour, ready for the festivities tomorrow. Good luck with your salmon, its a real treat.[p]Troy
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Fireball,
    From one newbie to another......welcome and as the older eggos say....your room is all reserved just let us know what you are cookin so we can come by and taste.[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Fireball, welcome. Don't know about southwest Michigan, but I do know the ChefRD (love his hot wings - check the profile section) lives some where in Michigan. [p]My favorite salmon recipe was submitted by Gretl - check out the link for pictures and the recipe. Have a great 4th of July! To bad your new toy didn't make it for the weekend, but trust me it is well woth the wait!

[ul][li]Salmon with Dijon Bourbon Glaze [/ul]
  • Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Fireball, welcome to the gang. Your oven in the kitchen is going to get pretty lonesome.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    howdy randman,
    Great point.
    I store my cast iron cookware in the oven!!
    But doesn't get much other use.[p]Happy freedom.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Fireball, welcome aboard..with a handle like that you will be a match for the BGE...wait and see.
    Steak is always a great option for a cook.
    If you haven't checked in with http://www.cookswares.com they have a excellent review on BBQ and Grilling right now. Their news letters are worth subscribing too. Work your way thru the commercial parts...Some of those are worth looking at also..Cheers..

[ul][li]CooksWares....[/ul]
  • Bambi
    Bambi Posts: 38
    Fireball,
    The Egg is it. You'll see. You will be cool hand luke to all your friends, i.e., the envy of them. Whatever you are good at cooking, you will be better at it in the Egg.
    Smoke on.
    Bambi