Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Part Question: Brisket and where to purchase in Ottawa Ontario

Options
rmuise
rmuise Posts: 5
I want to do a southern style mothers day dinner for my Mom and Mother and law.

I have never done brisket before and while I am a classically trained Chef, the concept of smoking meat (besides salmon) is new to me.  I plan on doing a trial run this weekend or next to see how it goes.  Am I best todo a dry rub first.  If so any ideas on a rub.  (neither parent likes spicy hot food)

Secondly I live in Ottawa Cnd any suggestion on were to purchase a brisket or two.

Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

You can rub brisket or not. Salt and pepper is fine too. I copied this from BBQtalk.ca

Re: Pork Butt and Brisket in Ottawa

postby SmokinQ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Levergne is good in the east end and if you are in the west end the Buthery in Bells Corners is also good. Dunrobin Meats inthe far west end can get you the things you are looking for as well.

What part of Ottawa are you in?

SmokinQ
    Pork Puller

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rmuise
    rmuise Posts: 5
    Options
    I live in the south end near Kemptville but in Ottawa everyday so the Butchery is not that far.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It would be a good idea to check ahead. I have to order mine in Orangeville

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would offer the suggestion of doing pulled pork instead of brisket for your first go at it if its for a family event. Every bit as tasty and way more reliable than brisket. Briskets can be so finicky that it really does take a few to get dialed in. Pulled pork is bullet proof and always a crowd pleaser.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    @rmuise let me know where you go for your meat and how it was if you don't mind. I'm looking for a place around here as well. Thanks
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I would offer the suggestion of doing pulled pork instead of brisket for your first go at it if its for a family event. Every bit as tasty and way more reliable than brisket. Briskets can be so finicky that it really does take a few to get dialed in. Pulled pork is bullet proof and always a crowd pleaser.
    + if you aren't in brisket country, you might not get a good cut. First 2 were over-trimmed flats where I had to add beef fat to the top. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    +1 on pulled pork.  You will have a hard time finding a butt in the area but bone-in picnic should be easy to find.

If you really want a brisket you can ask any butcher to special order it for you.  Be specific and ask for the point and the flat.  Chances are they won't know what a packer brisket is or they will think it's a cryovac flat and it won't contain the point (which is the best part if you ask me).

Options
    Thank you all for your responses.