Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket-fat side up or down

Getting set to start a brisket in the next few hours. Got a nice untrimmed piece with lots of nice fat. Have seen different opinions on whether it should b cooked fat side up or down. I m thinking fat side down. Any words of wisdom u brisket experts can provide to this novice. Up or down?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    <P>I've done them both ways. really does not matter as far as the quality of the food goes. I always do up because that is how I learned. I would question anyone that says one is signifcantly different that the other. </P>
    <P> </P>
    <P> </P>
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Either way is fine brisket isn't impacted by fat melting over it like pork. If I am going to slice in front of people or looking for a good presentation in general I will go fat side down.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    It doesn't matter on pork either.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I would defer to Cen-Tex for all things brisket, but many of the recommendations I've seen suggest fat acts a heat buffer/insulator when cooked fat down and can help keep things moist. Probably not a huge difference either way.

If it's really fatty you might want to trim a bit. You'll lose the bark if you have to trim lots of unrendered fat later.

Have fun and good luck.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I think the whole fat side down comes more from people who are grilling directly over their heat source. 
    For anyone going indirect, I never saw it matter for beef or pork. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i go fat side down rather have the fat stick to the grid than the meat 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i go fat down, but im a northerner that also puts a dripping porkbutt on a grid above it so what do i know
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I say buy 2 briskets, cook both exactly the same way besides one up and one down(fat side that is). 

That way, you have double the amount of the same kind of delicious meat. The more the merrier!