Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chile pastes

crkscrw
crkscrw Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried Mexichef chile pepper pastes available at mexgrocer.com? They come in 1 lb. jars--ancho, chipotle, pasilla, guajillo, arbol and may some others. I was wondering if they should be substituted one to one in recipes that call for reconstituted dried chiles. Any ideas?

Comments

• crkscrw,[p]I haven't tried them, but I would not suggest replacing as you mentioned. A paste can have other ingredients in it. Stock for example. Rehydrating a chili gives you the pure chili including the seeds and veins which have the heat. Thus, you are in charge of the heat in your dish. With a premade paste, that decision has been made for you.[p]Just my perspective...

• Grilled Chicken Basted W/Homemade Chili Sauce

· 2 4 to 5 lb whole half-cocked chickens (cut in half)
    · 6 large dried gualjillos, stemmed
    · 1 large dried chili ancho, stemmed
    · 4 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
    · 1 tsp salt
    · 1 tsp blk pepper
    · 1 tsp celery seed
    · 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
    · 1 cup of chili water

With wet paper towels wash and dry the chiles. In a hot skillet or comal press chiles down for several seconds till you hear and can see they are toasting and releasing their flavor, turn and repeat on all the chiles. Place chiles in bowl of hot water and weight down with plate for 30 min. While the chiles are soaking continue with toasting the garlic. Place all ingredients in blender and blend to a smooth paste the consistency needed to use as a baste. You can make a double batch of the chili sauce and marinate the chicken overnight or just brush on when you place on grill. I brushed on when placed on grill and used indirect set up at 250 for 3 hrs then removed plate setter and raised heat to 350 turning often till internal was 180 in thigh.

[img size=400]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/ChetC/IMAG0219.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">[/img]
  • BabyBoomBBQ,
    Just roasted 1 lb. hot and 1 lb mild Hatch Chilies!!!!! the smoke from the egg was Heaven. Made Green chili Chicken enchilada's ---WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!
    360 guy-gary

• 360 guy,[p]Sounds great! Got pics?