Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey burger and rochette beans

Options
working on turkey burgers this week, never made a great one but these were ok. lemon juice, herbs de provence, dill weed, and celery seeds. good flavor but dry. im thinking adding applesauce the next go around, any other ideas to get them moist

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Use beef instead of turkey ;) :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@fishlessman Try sauteeing some onion, mushrooms, and peppers (maybe even carrot) - dice fine and cool before mixing into the patties.  On a diet a couple years ago it was a great treat to have turkey burgers made with the veggies inside and helped the burger stay really moist. 

That and don't be afraid to add a bit of sauce or water.  Once the meat starts to get tacky the proteins are extracted and you can hold/bind water into the mix without much issue.  Obviously you can't go crazy but a bit so you can compensate for what you lose cooking.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    BigWader said:

@fishlessman Try sauteeing some onion, mushrooms, and peppers (maybe even carrot) - dice fine and cool before mixing into the patties.  On a diet a couple years ago it was a great treat to have turkey burgers made with the veggies inside and helped the burger stay really moist. 

That and don't be afraid to add a bit of sauce or water.  Once the meat starts to get tacky the proteins are extracted and you can hold/bind water into the mix without much issue.  Obviously you can't go crazy but a bit so you can compensate for what you lose cooking.

will give it a go on the next batch, will have to prep in the morning though to fit in a burger cook with my half hour lunch break. i know they can be good, used to eat them at fudruckers and they were really good there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have had some with zucchini added in. It was shredded in a food processor and added to the ground mixture. Worked really well to add moisture and as a binder.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    A little mayo works well too.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !