Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buying meat: saltwater solution or none?

Options
you all like buying the packaging meat containing up to a certain amount of solution or not?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I prefer non-enhanced. Be careful with the salt in your seasoning otherwise.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ericdc
    ericdc Posts: 30
    Options
    yea i don't like the thought of the extra salt, but haven't cooked enough to notice. last weekends ribs and shoulder were not enhanced.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the salt solution. If there is a lot of salt in the solution the meat can taste funny - kinda hammy if it is pork.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Flavor enhancers, salt and water and almost any rub are no bueno. Sams and Wally World are notorious for selling enhanced pork. I won't buy it.

flavor
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    About six months ago I started buying fresh meats and poultry from a local butcher shop! I was shocked at the difference in our food tastes! Sam's Club meats and poultry are frozen and loaded with water and too much waste fat and scraps! Between the water and scrap weights it almost compensates for the extra cost involved in buying fresh products from my local merchant. The chickens are smaller,fresher and more flavorful...
  • ericdc
    Options
    just found a local meat market that I didn't know about, about 40 minutes away. #excited
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Definitely no
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't want all that crap injected into my meat.  I want to add my own (superior) crap.
    Options
    Our local store just started selling non-injected chickens for about a $.75 lb more. You can tell the differance. Put me down for a NO.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ericdc
    Options
    how long do y'all allow your meat to sit in refrigerator before cooking or freezing?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I don't like freezing meats or poultry unless totally necessary. The fresh chicken's color is bone white, the Sam's Club double packaged frozen chickens are yellow? Then look at the excessive amounts of fat under the skin and hanging off the frozen birds! Then check out the liquid water and blood inside the vacuum packed double pork butts sold at Sam's Club? We are paying for this waste bypayingbythe pound. I have seen a big increase over the past four years in the amount ofwaterbeingpackaged in meats and poultry???
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    ericdc said:
    how long do y'all allow your meat to sit in refrigerator before cooking or freezing?
    I brine all of my poultry before cooking, 2 hours to overnight depending on the weight.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No - just like Cen-Tex says, No. Brine/inject at home if you want. 
    Meat in the fridge in the original wrapper, up to the date on the label, usually a sell before date. If brined or salted, maybe a day longer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    ericdc said:

just found a local meat market that I didn't know about, about 40 minutes away. #excited

That is the first time I have seen a hash tag on here.... Oh lawd....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    No solution for me.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    No solution as well. Not my thing.
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    Options
    Definitely no solution.  I actually had an issue on the old weber when I was having friends over where the water from the chicken was putting out the fire.  I'm now VERY careful when I buy to ensure no solution.  So much tastier and easier to cook.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    blueinatl said:

Definitely no solution.  I actually had an issue on the old weber when I was having friends over where the water from the chicken was putting out the fire.  I'm now VERY careful when I buy to ensure no solution.  So much tastier and easier to cook.

A weber puts out my fire as well.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    If I want a brine I want to do it myself. Put me down as a NO
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    pretty much all pork ribs here in the supermarket are enhanced, even the ones marked fresh in the supermarkets own package were taken out of a cryo of hormels and they dont have to put that on their own labels. i cant stand them and have to pay double at the butcher shop. one other thing ive found is that frozen turkeys are usually enhanced, look for one marked kosher, they usually just rub salt on the inside, much better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ericdc
    Options
    egger ave said:
    ericdc said:
    I brine all of my poultry before cooking, 2 hours to overnight depending on the weight.

I guess I should have asked it differently. How long do you feel safe letting meat sit in the refridgerator thawed while waiting to cook it?

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I guess I should have asked it differently. How long do you feel safe letting meat sit in the refridgerator thawed while waiting to cook it?

Fresh from the market, I try to use it by the sell by date (It can go longer), from the freezer, I have let it sit in the fridge for 3 days or so, but try to use it that night. SWMBO'd is picky 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!