Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Spatchcocker and some cheesy potatoes with pix

I've never done a spatchcock before but it looks simple enough and when we decided on dinner I thought a quick 45 minute cook would be great instead of doing a beer can chicken which would take longer.  My oh my how plans change...Wife calls me when she's supposed to leave for work saying she has to fix something and it would be another 2 hours before she'd be home...Well, I had already cut up the chicken and put the potatoes on so oh well :)

Basically I just sliced up some potatoes really thin, and layered them on aluminum foil with cheese on each layer and painted butter on them as well.  Of course I added some bacon

Rubbed down with some Raging River Rub

Tried to raise the grid with some pop cans but that was futile as the wind was gusting and kept blowing them down so we tried some aluminum foil.

So I got the Egg up to about 400 and put the bird on....Potatoes had been on for about 35 minutes at this time

Took the potatoes off and then tented with some foil while I tried to delay the chicken as long as possible for my wife

Wife called and said she was about 20 minutes out but we had already taken the bird off because I didnt' want it to completely get ruined...Took it to 175 which is way more than I wanted but it still came out juicy and the legs and wings were pull apart tender.

I love the whole ease and short time of spatchcocking and I see me doing this much more often.  Bird was juicy and didn't have to worry about anything really.

The breast was even juicy though I took it up to 175 trying to wait out for my wife...

Large BGE

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks great!!! Timing is always the problem with weekday cooks but looks like you did pretty well.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks good, I am sold on Spatchcock since trying it. We have been doing beer can for years and have done 4 spatchcocks in the last 2 months and each one gets better. The raised grid is money get some bricks to get it up to the felt that works great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great!  I would have eaten all of that one and told the wife she better pick up some chicken and taters on the way home ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Looks great!  I would have eaten all of that one and told the wife she better pick up some chicken and taters on the way home ;)
    +1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Great looking meal. Already doing spatchock tomorrow. Now I know what my side is going to be.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • My wife's comment on the 2 snatchcocked that I did last night was, "they are the best chicken I've ever had". Works for me.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I do mine indirect with a plate setter at 400 or 425. It takes a bit longer than 45 minutes but there is no need to raise grid and there is definitely no charred skin or other issues that may result from a direct. If you need more time you may consider that next time.