Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Deviled Eggs

U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I finally got around to cold smoking some hard boiled eggs. Eggs were boiled 11 minutes then shocked I an ice bath for an hour to chill. I peeled them and then cold smoked. Started with a dozen because I taste tested at 2 hours and 3 hours. 3 hours was perfect amount of smoke in my opinion. Used my homemade amazen type smoker with apple wood. Ambient temp was about 60 and this was at night. My cold smoking days are about numbered.

Today my wife split the eggs and with no measurements made the filling with mayo, mustard, Tony's creole, garlic powder. We put a quarter slice of winkles pickles (best pickle out there) and a dusting of paprika on top.

Lighting up the wood in my contraption. My wife had never seen it and was proud I didn't spend a bunch of money on it. I'm still gonna order a a-maze-n smoker I just made this in a pinch and it works well.

Eggs on the eggimage

After 3 hours they are all happy in smoke

Finally all topped off. They are amazing!image

These will become a staple around here and could be used for egg salad or to top a chefs salad. The smokey essence with the mayo filling and the pickle gave these a great BBQ flavor.

Comments

• U_tarded
    Also thanks to @double for the inspiration and everyone who posted on my last thread for the help

This was the start of it all
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149753/smoking-eggs#latest
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That is awesome man! Well done. Wonder how many degrees a container of ice cubes will lower the egg? I want to be able to cold smoke bacon this summer!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • U_tarded
    I did a drip pan full of ice sitting on the plate setter last fall it was like 70 outside with some good sun (so you had radiant heating of the ceramics) my maverick read about 55-60 that entire smoke. Maybe if you ran a hose over the egg with cold water for a bit to drop its thermal mass down you might be able to do it. It may take a while but in my crazy mind it may work.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Eggs smoked and deviled? Wow, sounds good to me.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    shtgunal3 said:

Eggs smoked and deviled? Wow, sounds good to me.

Hmmm... Deviled eggs smoked in the hell fires of damnation. My kind of meal!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks outstanding. Love Wickles. You may have just tempted me to make some this weekend. We like to add a dash of ancho, chipotle or cayenne to our deviled eggs. Just a hint, not to make them too spicy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ok that is cool, I bet they tasted good. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't have a cs or I'd jump on this...I like to grind up country ham in the mix. it's like a mini breakfast. just omit the salt
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    henapple said:
    I don't have a cs or I'd jump on this...I like to grind up country ham in the mix. it's like a mini breakfast. just omit the salt
    I fine chopped homemade bacon and added to mine bacon&eggs all in one they got demolished.
    Lynnwood WA
  • henapple
    that sounds awesome... I've got to figure out a cold smoker
  • U_tarded
    henapple said:

I just took one of those mesh grill toppers and bent it in waves after cutting off the outside ring they are only like $5 and I have used it a lot. It is in a big u-shape and each channel is like. 1.5 inches wide.
  • U_tarded
    Griffin said:

Looks outstanding. Love Wickles. You may have just tempted me to make some this weekend. We like to add a dash of ancho, chipotle or cayenne to our deviled eggs. Just a hint, not to make them too spicy.

I like to throw a dash of srichacha in there but this was for Sunday lunch at the in laws and sometimes they think black pepper is a little too spicy.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Excellent - thanks for sharing. 
    My wife makes a great devilled egg, and like your wife, never seems to measure anything. Their "recipes" sound very similar. Must give this a try, thanks again. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    U_tarded said:

henapple said:

I just took one of those mesh grill toppers and bent it in waves after cutting off the outside ring they are only like $5 and I have used it a lot. It is in a big u-shape and each channel is like. 1.5 inches wide.
    say what+ huh?... you're gonna have to explain that the way I like my books... lots of pictures.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Nice egged eggs!  

I too request pictures of the cold smoking contraption ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I could easily inhale that whole batch of deviled eggs without even blinking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • U_tarded
    henapple said:

U_tarded said:

henapple said:

say what+ huh?... you're gonna have to explain that the way I like my books... lots of pictures.
    I will take a picture of it when I get home. The best part was my wife saw it or the first time and she didn't ask what it was but how much. It was the first one in a while since getting the egg I didnt mind telling her the price
  • henapple
    good...I can skip this.
  • U_tarded
    caliking said:

I ate 4 before we even left the house. I got a request for a double batch from the grandmother in law and she is super picky so I know they were good
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    caliking said:
    So could I, but I would be afraid to approach the lit XL or anything with an open flame.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • U_tarded
    edited April 2013
    @henapple here is the best description I can give on how to make my generic cold smoker.

Go to ACE or Home Depot and buy a grill topper like this

You want to cut the edge off of it. I used some wire cutters it took about 1/2 a beer. Then you basically fold it in the shape of a W. but at the valleys you make them flat there is enough wire to make the sides about an 1.5 in tall and the bottom of the troughs about 1.5 inch as well.

In the middle of the W (peak of the mountain) at one end cut the apex and lay it flat so it is like you are looking at a big u shape. You just want it to hold small chips or pellets tight so it doesn't have to be perfect. This is about a 2 beer project or 1 big man can.

Here is a pic of mine empty.

Here it is lit full of chips I buy bags of the big chief smoker chips for cheap at my local ace. You could also use treager pellets.

Light it using a map torch on one end. Let it burn about 10 mins then blow it out and it will smolder like a cigarette. A full load will give you 8-10 hours. I did one side for the eggs 1/2 way up and it went 3 hours.

This last one has some lemons in it to give a size scale/ height of the apex. image

And it's upside down because I'm on my phone and I don't want to quit drinking to figure it out. If you can't figure it out pm me.
  • henapple
    Thanks... if it's only a 2 beer job I'll make a few for the neighbors..