Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Kind of

Options
bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Got a nice size corned beef brisket soaked it in water for a few days to remove some salt . Coated with a bit of yellow mustard as a binder and used the season packet that came with it and tasty licks black bart rub to make a cheater pastrami .Smoking it on the LBGE at 295 dome with hickory and apple wood wanted to use oak but found at this morning i was out of it so apple it is .

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've made many a Pastrami starting with a corned brisket.  They are great.

Most recently I have used a dry cure on an uncured brisket and made it from scratch and it comes out even better.  Most supermarket corned beef is not great quality and corning it myself was an interesting process.  If you don't have the time, though, doing it the way you did is fine.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited April 2013
    Options
    <P>Here's the last one I did. Got rid of the packaged spices and used this mix from Third Eye.</P>
    <P>RUB:<BR><BR>(this recipe makes enough rub to season several corned briskets, any leftover can be stored in a zipper baggie in the freezer for several months)<BR><BR>4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)<BR>1 teaspoon ground coriander<BR>1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder<BR>1 teaspoon onion powder<BR>2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning<BR>1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried<BR>1 teaspoon paprika<BR>Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.<BR><BR><A href="http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html">http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html</A></P>
    <P> </P>
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • bigphil
    Options
    @Shiff next time i will be sure to brine my own .this one was a kind of a last minute deal saw the corned beef and figured why not .

@billray Thanks for the link i'l give that way a try as well 

And here's the pastrami @156 degrees still a bit to go 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Is this one of the like vacuum sealed corned beef's at wal mart or kroger? they were on sale yesterday at kroger and I love pastrami 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    also, what temp are you taking it to?

XLBGE 
  • bigphil
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse and yes it is but i got mine at Costco i'll start checking it at 185 for tenderness and most likely be pulling it between 190 to 200 just like a brisket 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    awesome, watching this one.  do you have a slicer?

XLBGE 
  • bigphil
    Options
    yes but i may hand slice this so its warm for the sammie's 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited April 2013
    Options
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="/profile/54619/MrCookingNurse">MrCookingNurse</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>also, what temp are you taking it to?</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P><BR>I took mine to 165-170 internal temp. and also probe tender. If not tender continue cooking, may go to 180-200, every piece is different.</P>
    <P>From Third Eye.  FINISH TEMP NOTE: The most important part of the instructions for the final internal temperature or "finish temp" on my site are "Cook until the internal temperature is at least 165° to 170° <B><I>and the pastrami is tender</I></B>. Rest before serving. Remember to slice against the grain". So.....monitor the internal, and also confirm the tenderness with a toothpick.  There are several corned products, ... corned round roasts and corned briskets are the most common. When cooking/smoking a corned brisket, you may need to go to 180°, 190° or even 200° internal, but remember you are usually slicing pastrami thin, which helps with the tenderness. Also different brands of corned briskets can be different, once you find a brand you like stick with it.<BR><BR><BR></P>
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • bigphil
    Options
    All done cooked to a internal temp of 195 left it rest for a short period of 15 minutes . i must say even though i used a pre-corned beef its the best tasting pastrami i ever had although i may be bias lol . Very tender and juicy and the black bart rub very flavorful . now its prep time for tomorrows competition style chicken thighs .