Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need quick opinion on Stuffed Tenderloin recipe translation

Options
I had a buddy say he had one of the "best things ever made on a grill", but it was not an Egg.  I want to improve on it but his "recipe" was limited:

Butterfly a tenderloin, stuff with cream cheese and jalapenos, wrap in tightly in bacon, grill low, let set ten min to keep juicy.

I can translate a lot of that based on experience and a quick recipe check on this forum, but I have some gaps.  Here are my intentions:

(1) apply rub to outside of tenderloin, Butterfly, cream cheese, no heat jalapenos (for kiddos, sorry).  
(2) wrap in normal bacon (not thick cut, i want it to crisp up and get some heat on outside of tenderloin.  if it's too thick, i think it'll just steam the pork.
(3) Use toothpicks to hold butterfly together and bacon
(4) plate setter
(5) 400 dome
(6) estimate about an hour to get it to 160.  Our family tends to find 140 a little eerily juicy.  We like stuff well done.

I've highlighted the areas where I am second-guessing myself a bit.
I would appreciate any input and will update with pictures.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sound pretty good to me! 

(1) apply rub to outside of tenderloin
     I think you could apply the rub to the tenderloin, or apply it to the bacon (or both!). 

(2) wrap in normal bacon (not thick cut, i want it to crisp up and get some heat on outside of tenderloin.  if it's too thick, i think it'll just steam the pork.
     I think I would go with normal bacon.  You could consider the bacon weave. However, if you want don't want to completely "encase" the tenderloin this might not be the best idea.  I just love bacon weave. 

(3) Use toothpicks to hold butterfly together and bacon
    Sure- if needed.  Kitchen twine might be another option.  Sometimes I find the bacon sticks to itself good enough. 

(4) plate setter
    (5) 400 dome
    (6) estimate about an hour to get it to 160.  Our family tends to find 140 a little eerily juicy.  We like stuff well done.

All sounds good...except at 400 I would start checking the temp at 40 minutes or so.  Might want to consider a short rest and set the grill up direct, then throw on to crisp up the bacon. 

Good luck- sounds good! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• abidesthedude
    Options
    I did this recipe just as above, but I used a mixture of cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and jalapeños.  It was absolutely delicious.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    After you cut it you may want to pound it out a bit to equalize thickness

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    if you don't like hot try artichoke, spinach and provolone cheese. butcher twine... no bacon, let the tenderloin stand on it own. use a thermapen. you can't cook by time and while you like it done there's nothing worse than over done loin.

let us know
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    henapple said:
    if you don't like hot try artichoke, spinach and provolone cheese. butcher twine... no bacon, let the tenderloin stand on it own. use a thermapen. you can't cook by time and while you like it done there's nothing worse than over done loin. let us know
    Leave out the bacon?  Blasphemy!!! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    Options
    nobody loves bacon more than I but I like my tenderloin without. personally I only stuff loin and not tenderloin. you could egg the bacon and use for stuffing
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    henapple said:
    nobody loves bacon more than I but I like my tenderloin without. personally I only stuff loin and not tenderloin. you could egg the bacon and use for stuffing
    Now we're talkin ;).  

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    Those are excellent suggestions.  I do have a Thermapen.  Frankly, I don't know what I would do without it.

Now I am re-thinking use of the bacon.  I may do as henapple suggests.  I have a rub, so the bacon is almost a tad extraneous...now i have to ask, what's the best way to egg the bacon?
  • henapple
    Options
    I go indirect or at least a pan underneath. 350
    till crisp... best you'll ever have
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Throw a little cayenne and brown sugar on both sides of the bacon beforehand too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON