Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will towel and foil keep warm?

Options
Butt was done WAY early...going to towel foil and put in cooler but wondering how long that will keep it hot. Want to pull it in 10ish hours...don't think that's going to work. Think I remember seeing it will last 3-4 hours? Side note, my 8.5 lb butt was done in 10 hours...anybody seen that before? Was VERY surprised. Says temp was 260 wen went to bed and 270 when woke up. I'll calibrate probe when done but can't imagine it's THAT far off. The drip pan usually crusts over when above 300 and it didnt happen during this cook...

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Nothing to keep you from checking all the temps you are using now. I cook at 350 anyway. You will be fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I have gone 6 hours with the foil and towel and cooler route, but not longer. Probably reaching the limits at 10 hours. There have been some recent threads about this, do you pull then reheat(common recommendation) or leave whole and reheat.... The pull and reheat crowd say it is not dry on the reheat when done in a way that lets it all sit in its own juices
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Seen several wrap fire bricks in foil and put on to heat up. Then put in butt box to add to heat and to keep it hot longer. Not sure but think I remember you have to keep it above 145.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i've done 5 hours with FTC then pulled also when i reheat i use a crock pot and a bit of apple juice mixed in if you do that make sure its apple juice and not apple cocktail that gives it a funky taste .never had a problem with it being dry on the reheat 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've FTC's a butt at 205F, and it was 160 after 6 hours. I kinda doubt it can go 10 hours. Wait awhile, pull it, and dump everything into a slow cooker at "keep warm." Add a little extra fluid and some butter to reduce the chances of the meat burning at the bottom and sides of the crock.

My record for done too fast was 54 minutes per pound. I was done 12 hours too early.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    10 is pretty long but a lot of variables. If have a high end cooler and HD foil and all empty space in cooler filled with towels it's possible but honestly just easier to pull and reheat.
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    back in my day we didn't have ovens so we ftc'ed it for 8 days... and we liked it
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mole351 said:
    Butt was done WAY early...going to towel foil and put in cooler but wondering how long that will keep it hot. Want to pull it in 10ish hours...don't think that's going to work. Think I remember seeing it will last 3-4 hours? Side note, my 8.5 lb butt was done in 10 hours...anybody seen that before? Was VERY surprised. Says temp was 260 wen went to bed and 270 when woke up. I'll calibrate probe when done but can't imagine it's THAT far off. The drip pan usually crusts over when above 300 and it didnt happen during this cook...

that time and temp sounds pretty close to me. you can ftc for 4-6 easily. more towels = more time
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I agree with @Mickey - cook at higher heat, turbo, and it is all done during the day. 
    Recently, did two #7 butts for an after sport event, not knowing how many might show up. Pulled one and just less than 1/2 of the other, wrapped the un-pulled 1/2 in HD foil and dropped it into a slow cooker set to 150 keep warm, figuring to pull it in a couple of hours. Forgot about it completely (too much adult beverage perhaps) and the next morning took it out and it was fine. The bark had softened, but the meat was just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Skiddymarker... you're saying after a night of drinking your butt was still jui... never mind. don't wanna know.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Skiddymarker... you're saying after a night of drinking your butt was still jui... never mind. don't wanna know.
    That's exactly what I'm saying, although given the number of brain cells left and the damage to the taste buds, I might not have been the best authority. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I don't see why you think times are off. Seems pretty close to me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013