Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Pizza For Awhile

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Had my last pizza for awhile Wednesday night. Would have posted yesterday, but was too busy. Used the same dough from what was left of the Shrimp Alfredo Pizza. Thought about doing it on the MINI and my head started to spin when I recalled @nolaegghead 's smart math. So I just took what was left which was enough for a 12" pizza and threw it on the large, plate setter legs down, 3 feet and then the BGE Pizza Stone. Can't member now if it was 425 or 450. Too many hours ago.

Coming along, not burning yet....

Forgotted how many minutes I let it cook. Wasn't really paying attention.

Got to include the side shot.

Not sure if it didn't get as big a rise as the shrimp pizza due to lower heat or the dough being a few days old. Still came out pretty good and didn't burn the bottom. Not going to give up on doing a pizza on the mini just yet, but those plans are gonna be shelved for awhile as I get my health under control.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Looks good
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Don't loose the recipe, that looks good!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I hope you come along okay concerning your health Griffin. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Griffin said:

Had my last pizza for awhile Wednesday night. Would have posted yesterday, but was too busy. Used the same dough from what was left of the Shrimp Alfredo Pizza. Thought about doing it on the MINI and my head started to spin when I recalled @nolaegghead 's smart math. So I just took what was left which was enough for a 12" pizza and threw it on the large, plate setter legs down, 3 feet and then the BGE Pizza Stone. Can't member now if it was 425 or 450. Too many hours ago.

Coming along, not burning yet....

Forgotted how many minutes I let it cook. Wasn't really paying attention.

Got to include the side shot.

Not sure if it didn't get as big a rise as the shrimp pizza due to lower heat or the dough being a few days old. Still came out pretty good and didn't burn the bottom. Not going to give up on doing a pizza on the mini just yet, but those plans are gonna be shelved for awhile as I get my health under control.

It's because the dough was older. Nice cook. You can always mix in a pie once in a while when you get things under control. You 'll love cooking healthy once you get into it. The BGE is perfect for adding fat and calorie free flavor. it's like smoking a pack of cigarettes every time you eat, but it won't make you fat :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Nice lookin' pizza pie, Griffin!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great looking last Pizza! (for a while)! 

I think you mentioned this on the weight loss forum- are you going low carb?  Good luck!  I've been doing that on and off myself.  I need to be a little more "on" for the weight to come "off"!   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Going no carb. At least for awhile. No processed foods either.

Rowlett, Texas

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Best of luck with your new situation, Griff.  I know that has to be a considerable punch in the gut. I know I look forward to your future, healthier posts.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Griffin said:
    I started last week. Down 8lbs in 10 days and feel great. whole foods, no carbs. of course low carb pretty much kills 90% of all processed foods anyway. probably one of the reasons it works so well. I eat like a king and I'm never hungry

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Like Griff, I can't tolerate carbs these days. I use coconut and almond flour these days to replace wheat flour. Best pizza I have made w/o flour was sausage crust. Turned out great. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin said:
    I started last week. Down 8lbs in 10 days and feel great. whole foods, no carbs. of course low carb pretty much kills 90% of all processed foods anyway. probably one of the reasons it works so well. I eat like a king and I'm never hungry

oh yeah, I only drink 2 days a week now

:-q
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I think your pizza looks magnificent!  I'm with you on the healthy thing.  I've always really liked pizza, but since changing my lifestyle I constantly have pizza on the brain...I suppose its like chocolate for some.

It's been about 20 months and 65 pounds, and pizza & beer have been my little cheats when I plan them.

I hope the driver of the changes is a choice and not a scare.  Best of luck, and I can't wait to see your healthy cooks...looking at pizza cooks kills me, but I can't help myself.  Take good care, here's to good health!
  • Griffin
    Griffin said:

Would that be weekdays and weekenddays?
    :D

Rowlett, Texas

• egger ave
    You don't have to stop making pizzas, use a sausage crust instead. I have to eat low carb because of my diabetes. The BGE is a low carb dieters best friend at my house. The main stream approach to treating diabetes does not work for me anymore. Too many carbs in the typical diabetic recipe and diet. I am living on 30-50 carbs a day and doing great.BTW 1 beer has about 18 carbs, rib eye 0. I use Jicima to replace potatoes,
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin said:

Griffin said:

:-q Would that be weekdays and weekenddays?
    :D

Man I wish! But it is Friday and I've been perfect all week :!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thatsa nicea lookin' pie!

You don't have to forgo pizza altogether. Have you tried thin crust Neapolitan-style pizzas? They turn out great on the egg, and are way lower in carbs than thicker crust pizzas. Watch your fat and calorie intake too though, since weight loss  usually helps if one is overweight/obese.

Cutting out as much processed food as you can will make a HUGE difference in your health. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egger ave
    I can't use wheat/rice.... flour anymore. I mix 1/2 lb of ground beef and 1/2 lb italian sausage, roll it out onto a greased pizza pan  and bake for 10 mins @375. Pour the fat off, add your sauce and toppings and bake at 450 until the cheese melts..... . 

Albert Einstein
  • or you could just get mad at it and go bacon weave crust.....boom

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Haven't had pizza in a while also, broke down a few nights ago and had a Papa Murphy on the egg.
    It was like going into a food coma. You will cherish every bite of the sweet delicious pie.
    Wait about 2 months and then do one up and let me know.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

This is the toughest part...I can live without bread, crackers, pasta...but I love beer! 
    or you could just get mad at it and go bacon weave crust.....boom

Take THAT stupid carbs! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

or you could just get mad at it and go bacon weave crust.....boom

Do you get a defibrillator with that?

I would throw that pie down though

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.