Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Porcelain Tile

EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
I had my Egg sitting on top of a Porcelain Tile and I just noticed that it was cracked in 3 pieces. I thought Porcelain was supposed to withstand the high heat? Ive only got about 3 cooks on my new table with one of them being a pizza and the other being slow 2-3hr cooks. Im thinking I might need to get the Table Nest now.
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Any excuse to buy more eggcessories/table is always good to me
    :))
  • I picked up a 1 1/2 gray stone from my local garden center. Works great

Chesapeake, VA
  • That's 1 1/2 inch thick
    Chesapeake, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you had it sitting directly on the ceramic, it's not surprising it cracked.  You need an air gap - an inch or more between the bottom of the egg and the ceramic so the ceramic doesn't heat up so much, so unevenly. 
  • Seeing as how my hole in my table is already cut and the tile with the stool is about 4.25" tall, I would need to find a brick that is 4.25.. I have a XL nest that I used once. Im thinking of cutting her up and making the table nest out of that :) lol

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    was the tile glazed?... regardless, I'd figure way to get a gap. lower the egg?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Porcelain tile is extremely hard and is popular since it is very scratch resistant. But it makes it supseptable to cracking when exposed to high heat.
  • nolaegghead
    It's not high heat as much as it's uneven heat.  The tile was heated up in a kiln once to over 2000F to vitrify, then a second time for the glaze.  It's very even in a kiln.  If the egg is sitting directly on the porcelain, it's heated unevenly where it's touching.  Having  the air gap makes it heat much slower and more even, and much less likely to crack.  I have directly experienced this when I first set up my egg.  Cracked a square pizza stone with it sitting directly on it.  Once I created the air gap (little green feet), the problem went away.
  • The egg was sitting directly on the tile. There was no air gap. From what I have read online, I thought porcelain was good for placing heat on it. Guess the egg puts out a little bit more heat than what the tile can handle.

• It's not high heat as much as it's uneven heat.  The tile was heated up in a kiln once to over 2000F to vitrify, then a second time for the glaze.  It's very even in a kiln.  If the egg is sitting directly on the porcelain, it's heated unevenly where it's touching.  Having  the air gap makes it heat much slower and more even, and much less likely to crack.  I have directly experienced this when I first set up my egg.  Cracked a square pizza stone with it sitting directly on it.  Once I created the air gap (little green feet), the problem went away.
    So having a pizza stone sitting on top of the plate setter with no gap can possibly crack the stone once it heats up?
  • henapple
    there are 2 types of porcelain... if you look at the side and the top is a different color it is forinterior
  • Its deff a floor tile for inside the house. Guess I should have done more home work :(

• nolaegghead

It's not high heat as much as it's uneven heat.  The tile was heated up in a kiln once to over 2000F to vitrify, then a second time for the glaze.  It's very even in a kiln.  If the egg is sitting directly on the porcelain, it's heated unevenly where it's touching.  Having  the air gap makes it heat much slower and more even, and much less likely to crack.  I have directly experienced this when I first set up my egg.  Cracked a square pizza stone with it sitting directly on it.  Once I created the air gap (little green feet), the problem went away.
    So having a pizza stone sitting on top of the plate setter with no gap can possibly crack the stone once it heats up?
    No.  I'm talking about under the egg.  I just happened to use an old square pizza stone to protect the wood shelf on my egg table rather than bricks or a porcelain tile. 

• henapple
    a thin natural stone like slate would work but I'd still get a gap... any pics of your table?
  • Here ya go
  • nolaegghead
    this is basically what I have.  (although not my egg).  The important thing is the air gap under the egg.

• None of the eggs come with feet anymore that I'm aware of unless they're old stock.  Hence the need for the table nest.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• None of the eggs come with feet anymore that I'm aware of unless they're old stock.  Hence the need for the table nest.

I think its crap they don't supply a $3 piece of ceramic feet after you spend over $1400 on the grill and accessories, but then expect you to pay $30 for a table nest.
  • I agree, but with a wooden table, I wouldn't go without something for an air gap.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• nolaegghead
    Also, they don't recommend using the feet with the XL anymore - something about the bottom can crack because there's not enough support.  If you have the XL, I'd either get the nest, or put a thicker slab of granite or cement underneath it and you can always put the air gap under the slab.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Mickey usually chimes in about these feet available at Lowes, but I'll do it for him today:
    Norcal Pottery 2.5-in H x 2-in W x 2-in D Brown Clay Pot Feet
    These work like the BGE feet (now discontinued). A set of three is $5-6. I bought the brown ones because they are made in Italy, and I had a good experience with the big clay pot I used in my tandoor a few years ago. The lighter colored ones are made in China. Does it make a difference? Not likely.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I got my medium egg about a month now. I decided to go with a table nest since the ceramic feet were no longer available. I like the idea of the air gap under the egg. This way the wood doesn't get hot at all. After seeing a few pictures of burnt tables this is in my opinion the best way to go.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • henapple
    it wouldn't take long to design or cost much to have a welder make a stand... for an xl, center support
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited April 2013
    A table nest is on order. Can someone tell me what the height is of the XL nest from where the egg sits to where the feet touch the table?
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    @EggHeadinFlorida, My large is sitting in a table nest and IIRC the nest is 2 inches.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Thx